May 18, 1984 |
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||197 lb (89 kg; 14 st 1 lb)|
St. Louis Blues
|NHL Draft||29th overall, 2002
Hannu Pekka Toivonen (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈhɑnːu ˈtoiʋonen]; born May 18, 1984) is a Finnish professional ice hockey goaltender who is currently playing for Vaasan Sport in the Finnish Liiga. He previously played with the Boston Bruins and the St. Louis Blues in the National Hockey League (NHL).
Toivonen started his pro career with HPK in the Finnish SM-liiga. He was drafted by the Boston Bruins of the National Hockey League (NHL) in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, and moved to the Providence Bruins of the American Hockey League (AHL) in 2003.
With Andrew Raycroft sitting out due to a contract dispute, Toivonen started the 2005–06 NHL season as the Bruins' backup goaltender. He made his NHL debut on October 8, 2005 against the Pittsburgh Penguins, coming away with an overtime win. He holds the distinction of allowing the first goal of Sidney Crosby's career in that game. On December 1, 2005, he recorded his first NHL shutout, blanking the Ottawa Senators. Toivonen was 9–5–4 with a 2.63 GAA and a .914 SV% before suffering a high ankle sprain in January that effectively ended his season.
At the beginning of the 2006–07 season, Toivonen and Tim Thomas were competing for the starter spot. After a rough start at the beginning of the season, Toivonen was sent down to Providence and was replaced by Brian Finley on November 7, 2006, officially making Thomas the starting goaltender for Boston. Over the course of the next couple months, he was repeatedly recalled to Boston and sent back down to Providence. On April 2, he was recalled to Boston for the last two away games, then sent back to Providence on April 6. On April 26, 2007, Toivonen signed a one-year contract extension with the Bruins.
On July 23, 2007, Toivonen was traded to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for Carl Söderberg. Upon being traded to the Blues, Toivonen was reunited with former Bruins teammates Brad Boyes, Ryan Glenn, Yan Stastny and Derek Gustafson. In the 2007–08 season, Toivonen played in 23 games with the Blues before he was assigned to the Peoria Rivermen, the Blues' AHL affiliate, on February 11, 2008.
Toivonen spent the 2008–09 season with Ilves in Finland, but re-signed with St. Louis on June 9, 2009. He was then assigned to the Blues' farm team in Peoria on September 21, 2009, for the beginning of the 2009–10 season. On March 1, 2010, Toivonen was traded from St. Louis to the Chicago Blackhawks, along with Danny Richmond, in exchange for goaltender Joe Fallon. All players involved in the trade remained with their respective AHL affiliates.
Toivonen signed a two-year contract with the Malmö Redhawks of the HockeyAllsvenskan on July 1, 2011. In the 2011–12 season he played in 19 games, averaging a .895 save percentage (SVS) and 3.30 goals against average (GAA). However, due to economical crisis in the Redhawks club, Toivonen was forced to leave the club after the 2011–12 season. His contract is being paid out by the Redhawks.
|2007–08||St. Louis Blues||NHL||23||6||10||5||1202||69||0||3.44||.878||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Orlando Solar Bears||ECHL||11||2||7||0||565||37||0||3.93||.888||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Bruins assign Toivonen". Boston Bruins. 2007-04-06. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "Bruins acquire center Carl Soderberg". Boston Bruins. 2007-07-23. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "Toivonen sent down, Beckford-Tseu and Stastny up". St. Louis Blues. 2008-02-11. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "Blues agree to terms with Toivonen". St. Louis Blues. 2009-06-09. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "Blues acquire Fallon from Blackhawks for Toivonen, Richmond". TSN. 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "Finsk målvakt klar för Redhawks" (in Swedish). Malmö Redhawks. 2011-07-01. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- Martin, Nathalie (2012-05-17). "Hugo Stenbeck och Malmö Redhawks eniga" (in Swedish). Malmö Redhawks. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Toledo Walleye team roster". Toledo Walleye. 2013-11-11. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- Hannu Toivonen's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Hannu Toivonen's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Hannu Toivonen's player profile at NHL.com
- Hannu Toivonen on nhlfinns.com
|Boston Bruins first round draft pick