Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (February 2013)|
|Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen (Hanze UAS)|
|Motto||Share your talent. Move the world|
|Type||University of Applied Sciences|
Hanze University of Applied Sciences (UAS), Groningen (Dutch: Hanzehogeschool Groningen) is the largest "university of applied sciences" (hogeschool, vocational school) in the northern Netherlands and is located in Groningen. Hanze UAS offers various Bachelor and Master programmes in Dutch, English, and German, and works closely with international partner institutes. The school counts approximately 25,000 students and 2,700 employees.
Hanze UAS was founded in 1986 as the merger of various local institutes for professional education, the oldest of which is the Academy Minerva, founded in 1798, which was the first multi-sectoral institute for practical higher education in the Netherlands. The mission of the Academy Minerva was “The improvement of Drawing, Construction and Nautical Sciences, together with the aligned Arts and Sciences, within all ranks of society, and in particular to improve the skills of the disadvantaged. Throughout the centuries that followed many more institutions, engaged in a wide range of different fields, were established.
In 1986, Groningen was the first city in the Netherlands where 16 of the 24 vocational schools merged into a larger institute, as recommended in the government paper “Expansion, Division of Tasks, and Concentration in the Higher Educational System”.
The name Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen is linked to the Hanseatic League (Dutch: Hanze).
Between 1998 and 2002, the Hanze was involved in the large-scale fraud by Dutch vocational school (the hbo-fraude) and illegally received 1.5 million euros in national subsidies for students who either received their education abroad, or finished a study of four years in only one year.
- Academy Minerva, School for Fine Art and Design
- Academy of Pop Culture
- Hanze Institute of Technology (HIT)
- International Business School Groningen
- North Netherlands Dance Academy
- Prince Claus Conservatoire
- School of Architecture, Built Environment and Civil Engineering
- School of Communication, Media and IT
- School of Education
- School of Facility Management Groningen
- School of Engineering
- School of Health Care Studies
- School of Law Groningen
- Institute for Life Science and Technology
- School of Financial and Economic Management (Dutch)
- School of Nursing
- School of Marketing Management
- School of Sport Studies
- School of Social Studies
- Advanced Sensor Applications
- Academy Minerva, School of Fine Art and Design
- Classical Music (Prince Claus Conservatoire)
- School Music / Classroom Education
- Composition Music and Studio Productions (Prince Claus Conservatoire)
- Conducting (Prince Claus Conservatoire)
- Electronic Product Design and Engineering EPDE
- Integral Product Development
- Internationale Betriebswirtschaft German taught programme (BW)
- International Biomedical Engineering
- International Business and Management Studies
- International Civil Engineering Management
- International Communication
- International Construction Management
- International Facility Management
- International Power Generation and Distribution
- Jazz (Prince Claus Conservatoire)
- Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology (Dutch taught programme)
- Nursing (Dutch taught programme)
- Nutrition and Dietetics (Dutch taught programme)
- Oral Hygiene (Dutch taught programme)
- Speech Therapy (Dutch taught programme)
- Master in International Communication
- Master in International Business and Management
- Master of Business Administration (full-time and part-time)
- Master of Fine Arts Interactive Media and Environments
- Master of Fine Arts Painting
- Master of Fine Arts Scenography
- Master of Music
- European Master of Social Work
- European Master in Renewable Energy (EUREC)
- Master Real Estate
References and notes
- "Managed Telephone ALS Basis Voor Innovatie" (in Dutch). Gentronics. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "Facts & Figures - Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen". Hanzehogeschool. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "History - Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Groningen". Hanzehogeschool. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Hanzehogeschool moet ministerie 1,5 miljoen betalen (Dutch). De Volkskrant, 5 November 2008.
- "1 hogeschool, 19 schools, ruim 70 opleidingen - Hanzehogeschool Groningen" (in Dutch). Hanzehogeschool. Retrieved 27 January 2013.