High On Fire
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
|High On Fire|
HOF live in 2008
|Origin||Oakland, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Sludge metal, stoner rock, doom metal|
|Labels||Relapse, Man's Ruin, Koch|
Below the Sound
|Past members||Joe Preston
|This section requires expansion with: Critical reception. (January 2011)|
High On Fire was founded in 1998 by former Sleep guitarist Matt Pike, drummer Des Kensel, and bassist George Rice (from Dear Deceased, who originally auditioned to be the band's vocalist). The band's first full-length album The Art of Self Defense was released on 12th Records, and released later on Man's Ruin Records. (The album would later be re-released by Tee Pee Records, with two bonus tracks, as Man's Ruin Records had become defunct.)
In 2001, High On Fire signed a record deal with Relapse Records and recorded the album Surrounded by Thieves. The album was released on May 28, 2002. After the tours promoting Surrounded by Thieves, bassist George Rice left the band and was replaced by ex-Melvins/Thrones bassist Joe Preston.
The band's next album, 2005's Blessed Black Wings, was largely written by Pike and Kensel before the recording of the album took place. The album was produced by Steve Albini, and was released on February 1, 2005. A music video was produced for the song Devilution. While touring with Goatwhore and Watch Them Die to promote Blessed Black Wings, Joe Preston left the band for undisclosed reasons, and was temporarily replaced by Zeke bassist Jeff Matz. Matz finished the tour with High On Fire and became a full-time member during the recording of Death Is This Communion. Death Is This Communion was released on September 18, 2007 (September 10, in Europe.)
After Death is This Communion was released, High On Fire played a small string of Northwest shows to promote it. The band did a headline tour of North America in September and October 2007, with support from the Japanese post-rock band Mono, along with Panthers and Coliseum. High On Fire also played on 2008's Gigantour, which was followed by a North American tour with the bands Opeth, Baroness, and Nachtmystium.
On December 17, 2008, High On Fire signed a recording deal with Koch Records. On August 1, 2009, it was announced that a new album would be recorded with producer Greg Fidelman. Later that month, following the news of the new album, High On Fire announced a tour with Mastodon, Dethklok, and Converge. The tour spanned from October 2 to November 21.
In August 2009, the band went into post-production of the follow-up to Death Is This Communion at The Pass Studios in Los Angeles. The album artwork for the new album was released on January 7, 2010. On January 15, following the release of the album artwork, the song Frost Hammer was posted on the band's Myspace page, and a video for the song was released on March 16, 2010. Snakes for the Divine was formally released on February 23, 2010.
In March 2010, the band announced a headlining U.S. tour to promote the album; supporting bands for the tour include Priestess, Black Cobra, and Bison B.C.. On April 6, 2010, the band announced they would be opening for Metallica for eight European shows.
In 2010, the band was confirmed as being part of the soundtrack for Namco Bandai Games' 2010 remake of Splatterhouse. On April 3, 2012, High On Fire released their sixth studio album, De Vermis Mysteriis.
High On Fire was scheduled to play the 2012 Mayhem Festival but dropped off the tour due to Matt Pike's health. Matt Pike returned to the band and they once again began touring in November 2012.
As of January 2014, High On Fire continues to slay audiences worldwide. The band is currently in the process of writing new material for an upcoming release.
- The Art of Self Defense (2000, Man's Ruin Records)
- Surrounded by Thieves (2002, Relapse Records)
- Blessed Black Wings (2005, Relapse Records)
- Death Is This Communion (2007, Relapse Records)
- Snakes for the Divine (2010, E1 Music)
- De Vermis Mysteriis (2012, E1 Music)
- Live from the Relapse Contamination Festival (2005, Relapse Records)
- Spitting Fire Live, Vol.1 (2013, E1 Music)
- Spitting Fire Live, Vol.2 (2013, E1 Music)
EP's and Splits
- High On Fire (EP, 1999, 12th Records)
- Hung, Drawn & Quartered / March Of The Fire Ants (split with Mastodon) (2003, Relapse Records)
- Brother In The Wind / Gwodhunqa (split with Ruins) (2005, Skin Graft Records)
- Relapse Single Series (split with Coliseum & Baroness) (2003, Relapse Records)
- Hung, Drawn and Quartered (2002)
- Devilution (2005)
- Rumors of War (2007)
- Frost Hammer (2010)
- Fertile Green (2012)
- Slave The Hive (2013)
- "About". High on Fire. Retrieved 2013-11-03.
- "High On Fire - Official Relapse Records Band Page". Relapse.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- 9:49 AM (2010-09-04). "High On Fire Complete Video For "Devilution" - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- 11:07 AM. "High On Fire Recruit Zeke Bassist For Tour - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- 1:48 PM. "High On Fire Announce Winter Tour Dates - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- 8:24 AM. "Gigantour 2008 Lineup Revealed - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- 12:33 AM. "Opeth Announces More Headlining US Tour Dates - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- 3:57 AM. "High On Fire To Enter The Studio - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- 12:02 PM. "Dethklok and Mastodon Announce Massive US Tour - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- 12:22 PM. "High On Fire Reveals New Album Artwork - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- 5:42 PM. "High On Fire Streaming New Song Online - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- 7:32 PM. "High On Fire Posts New Music Video Online - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "High on Fire - new album (MP3) & 2010 tour dates w/ Priestess, Black Cobra & Bison B.C". BrooklynVegan. 2010-02-09. Retrieved 2013-11-03.
- "High On Fire: announces spring tour dates with METALLICA". CenturyMedia. 2010-04-06. Retrieved 2013-11-03.
- Pelly, Jenn (2012-06-08). "High On Fire Cancel Tour, Matt Pike Entering Rehab".
- Live Performance from Amoeba S.F
- Official website
- High On Fire at MySpace
- High On Fire praised by John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats
- High On Fire interview on Rockmidgets.com
- Late Night Wallflower Interview with Des Kensel
- Interview with High On Fire on Swigged.net