||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (December 2007)|
|Created by||ABS-CBN Corporation|
|Developed by||ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Running time||1 hour (1992–1996)
30 minutes (1996–2001)
|Original release||1992– August 10, 2001|
Hoy Gising! (English: Hey! Wake Up!) was TV segment on ABS-CBN in the Philippines. Originally part of the flagship national network news broadcast TV Patrol, it became a long-running public service program. Three years later[year needed], Hoy Gising! revived the program again for Saturday afternoon airings as Hoy Gising! Kapamilya.
Origin and Style
Hoy Gising! was a public service program that began on TV Patrol as a segment handled by the late Frankie Evangelista. It then grew into a half-hour program (later extended to an hour) chiefly anchored by Kris Aquino, Ted Failon, and Korina Sanchez. The formula remained the same: tackling all sorts of problems associated with the government, as well as social issues. The difference between the show and others of its kind was its semi-humorous method of commenting on the issues and problems it featured, and urging those concerned to "wake up."
The show had a mambo-themed opening song performed by The Kumbancheros.
- News Bulilitin Hosted by Korina Sanchez
- Saludo/Bow Kami Sa ýo
- Krisis Korner
- Bantay Bata 163
- Instant Reklamo
- Star Gising
- Ikaw at ang Batas - deals with legal tidbits, which later spun off into its own program ("Kapag May Katuwiran, Ipaglaban Mo")
- Raket - deals with all sorts of rackets/scams
- Wanted - deals with people wanted by the law for all sorts of crimes
- Honor Roll and Horror Roll - usually happens at the end of the week, it features entities/personalities. Those who did good were praised in the Honor Roll; those who did bad were scorned at the Horror Roll.
- Connie Sison
- Erwin Tulfo
- Ruth Abao-Espinosa
- Kris Aquino
- Francis "Kiko" Pangilinan
- Gel Santos-Relos
- Julius Babao
- Daniel Razon
- Amy Perez
- Ilong Ranger (a cowboy in white shirt, shorts, cowboy hat, and gas mask who catches smoke-belching vehicles and factories emitting toxic smoke, perhaps played by Ted Failon himself)
Reporters/ Segment Producers/ Writers
- Ingrid Piccio
- Charlotte Manapat
- Jun del Rosario
- Bodjie Foronda
- Che Marcelo
- Cleon Lester Chavez
- Maricar Bautista
- Mylene Acuna
- Aida Gonzales
- Dianne Garcia
- Melo del Prado
- Ed Lingao
- Jorge Guerrero
- Teddy Casiño
- It was also known by its other name: The Department of Last Resort.
- During its last episodes, the CBB (Closing Billboard) shown the excerpts of Hoy Gising! through the years (1992–2001).
- T3: Kapatid Sagot Kita is a spin-off of Hoy Gising on TV5, of which one of its former co-hosts is Erwin Tulfo.
- On Call: Serbisyong Totoo. Ngayon. is also a spin-off of Hoy Gising on GMA News TV, which features one of its former co-hosts, Connie Sison.