Reeves in 1994
July 13, 1932 |
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Alma mater||McGill University
|Doctoral students||Jean Audouze|
|Known for||Works on stellar nucleo-synthesis
Popularisation of science
|Notable awards||See Honours and Recognition|
Reeves attended Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf, a prestigious French-language college in Montreal. He has been a Director of Research at the Centre national de la recherche scientifique since 1965 and currently lives in Paris, France where he often speaks on television promoting science.
Early Life Career
Born in Montreal, Reeves obtained a BSc degree in physics from the Université de Montréal in 1953, an MSc degree at McGill University in 1955 with a thesis entitled "Formation of Positronium in Hydrogen and Helium" and then a PhD degree at Cornell University in 1960. His PhD thesis was "Thermonuclear Reaction Involving Medium Light Nuclei". From 1960 to 1964, he taught physics at the Université de Montréal and worked as an advisor to NASA.
Honours and recognition
- In 1976 he was made Knight of Ordre national du Mérite (France).
- In 1986 he was made Knight of the Légion d'Honneur (France). He was promoted to Officer in 1994 and to Commander in 2003.
- In 1991 he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada and was promoted to Companion in 2003.
- In 1994, he was made Officer of the National Order of Quebec.
- Asteroid 9631 Hubertreeves is named after Reeves: see Meanings of asteroid names (9501-10000).
- Reeves, Hubert (1998). Origins: Speculations on the Cosmos, Earth and Mankind (1st English-language ed ed.). London: Arcade Publishing. pp. 192pp. ISBN 1-55970-408-X.
- Reeves, Hubert (July 1971). Nuclear Reactions in Stellar Surfaces and Their Relations with Stellar Evolution. London: Gordon and Breach. pp. 88pp. ISBN 0-677-02960-8.
- Reeves, Hubert (1968). Stellar evolution and nucleosynthesis. New York: Gordon and Breach. ISBN 0-677-30150-2.
- Reeves, Hubert (1981). Patience dans l'azur : l'évolution cosmique. Paris: Seuil. p. 282. ISBN 2-02-010170-X.
- Reeves, Hubert (1986). L'heure de s'enivrer : l'univers a-t-il un sens?. ISBN 2-02-014400-X.
- Reeves, Hubert (1994). Dernières nouvelles du cosmos. ISBN 2-02-022831-9.
- Reeves, Hubert; Lenoir, Frédéric (2003). Mal de Terre. Paris: Points. p. 272. ISBN 2-02-079064-5.
- Reeves, Hubert (2005). Chroniques du ciel et de la vie. ISBN 2-02-080030-6.
- Reeves, Hubert (2007). Chroniques des atomes et des galaxies. ISBN 978-2-7578-2297-5.
|This article about a physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|