June 25, 1969 |
Lumberton, North Carolina, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Spouse(s)||Jennifer Cody (1998-present)|
Foster was born in Lumberton, North Carolina, but raised in Augusta, Georgia and Troy, Michigan. He earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Theatre Studies from the University of Michigan in 1992. After graduation he moved to New York City.
After touring in several shows and playing on Broadway, he was cast in his breakthrough role, that of "Bobby Strong" in Urinetown, for which he received nominations for an Outer Critics Circle Award, a Lucille Lortel Award, and a Tony Award nomination. In 2003, Foster starred as "Seymour" in the Broadway revival of Little Shop of Horrors, for which he received his second Tony Award nomination.
Foster also appeared as Leo Bloom in The Producers on Broadway, Ensign Pulver in Mister Roberts at the Kennedy Center, and Ben in Modern Orthodox off-Broadway. He also starred as Molina in Kiss of the Spider Woman at the Signature Theatre in Arlington, Virginia.
Foster wrote the libretto for an off-Broadway 2002 musical based on the motion picture Summer of '42. He is writing an adaptation of the film Bonnie and Clyde with Urinetown co-star, Rick Crom. Foster was one of the writers for Rosie O'Donnell's 2008 NBC series Rosie Live, which was cancelled after the first episode.
Foster played the role of music producer Sam Phillips in the musical Million Dollar Quartet, at the Nederlander Theatre, which opened on April 10, 2010. Foster then portrayed Richard Hoover in the musical Little Miss Sunshine, at the La Jolla Playhouse, until March 27, 2011. He recently appeared on the ABC Family show Bunheads as Scotty Sims, the brother of main character Michelle, who is portrayed by his real life sister Sutton Foster.
- Cats - Rum Tum Tugger - 1992 US National Tour
- Grease - Roger u/s Danny - 1994
- King David - Jonathan - 1997
- Children of Eden - Abel, Ham - 1997
- Les Misérables - Joly - 1998
- Footloose - Bickle - 1998
- Martin Guerre - Victor, Martin - 1999
- Urinetown - Bobby Strong - 2001 (originated role)
- Earth Girls Are Easy - Mac - 2002
- Little Shop of Horrors - Seymour - 2003
- The Producers - Leo Bloom - 2004
- Mister Roberts - Ensign Pulver - 2005
- Modern Orthodox - Ben - 2005
- The Producers - Leo Bloom - 2007
- Frankenstein - A New Musical (Off Broadway) - Victor Frankenstein - 2007
- Kiss of the Spider Woman - (Signature Theatre) - Luis Alberto Molina - 2008
- Million Dollar Quartet - Sam Phillips - 2010
- Hands on a Hardbody - Benny Perkins - 2012 (originated role)
- Ordinary Days - Jason - 2013 (originated role)
- The Bridges of Madison County- Bud- 2014 Broadway
- Jones, Kenneth."Dressing Them Up: Hunter Foster Will Be Molina in DC Spider Woman", playbill.com, January 9, 2008
- Simonson, Robert."PLAYBILL.COM'S BRIEF ENCOUNTER With Hunter Foster", playbill.com, July 2, 2008
- Playbill, "Million Dollar Quartet Broadway at Nederlander Theatre - Tickets and Discounts", playbill.com, March 30, 2010
- THE LEADING MEN: Hunter Green, Playbill, September 9, 2003. Accessed September 13, 2011. "Foster is married to Jennifer Cody (Urinetown, Taboo); the cute couple live in Teaneck, N.J., with Zach, their Yorkshire terrier."
- Internet Broadway Database
- Lortel listings
- Article on Hunter Foster by Beth Stevens in Time Out New York
- Playbill Article on Hunter Foster