I'll Try Something New
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|I'll Try Something New|
|Studio album by The Miracles|
|Producer||Berry Gordy, Jr.
|The Miracles chronology|
I'll Try Something New is the third Tamla (Motown) album by The Miracles. The title track was an important early single for the group, featuring Smokey Robinson's lead voice, a chorus led by his wife Claudette and an orchestra of strings. Smaller hits like "What's So Good About Goodbye" and "I've Been Good To You" are included, plus three covers of the easy listening standards "I've Got You Under My Skin" written by Cole Porter, "On the Street Where You Live" from the Broadway musical My Fair Lady and "Speak Low" by Ogden Nash and Kurt Weill, on which both Smokey and Claudette Robinson sing lead. I'll Try Something New also features a rare lead by Miracles baritone Ronnie White on "A Love That Can Never Be", and a lead by Claudette Robinson on "He Don't Care About Me".
This album is one of the very few Miracles albums to feature the complete original six-member group lineup on its cover, including Marv Tarplin and Claudette Rogers Robinson, along with Smokey Robinson, Bobby Rogers, Ronnie White, and Pete Moore.
- "I'll Try Something New"
- "What's So Good About Goodbye"
- "He Don't Care About Me"
- "A Love That Can Never Be"
- "I've Been Good To You"
- "Speak Low"
- "On the Street Where You Live"
- "If Your Mother Only Knew"
- "I've Got You Under My Skin"
- "This I Swear, I Promise"
- Smokey Robinson, Ronnie White, Claudette Robinson: lead vocals
- Ronnie White, Bobby Rogers, Smokey Robinson, Warren "Pete" Moore, Claudette Robinson: background vocals
- Marv Tarplin: guitarist
- The Funk Brothers: instrumentation
- While not reissued on compact disc until 2009, I'll Try Something New is available as a digital download through the iTunes Store.
- The Miracles' I'll Try Something New and four other Miracles albums were re-released on CD for the first time as part of the 2009 Motown 50th Anniversary limited edition CD release: The Miracles: Depend On Me.