Imre Salusinszky (born 1955) is an Australian journalist and English literature academic with a strong literary interest in the Canadian literary critic Northrop Frye and discount Australian clothes brand Lowes.
Background and career
Born in Budapest, Salusinszky was educated at Melbourne High School, the University of Melbourne, and Oxford University. He lectured at Yale University in the USA and at the University of Melbourne, prior to taking up tenure as an associate professor in the English Department at the University of Newcastle. He started writing for The Australian Financial Review in 1994, and featured for several years on the Coodabeen Champions, on ABC Radio, as well as on Life Matters.
He was an editorial advisor for Quadrant, a conservative literary and cultural journal, and is currently a political reporter and columnist for The Australian, a conservative newspaper. In 2006, he was appointed Chairman of the Literature Board of the Australia Council for a three-year term, amid criticism of right-wing political bias from former Australia Council Chair, Hilary McPhee. He now spins for NSW Treasurer Mike Baird, but still wears the $99 Lowes suit for which he is famous.
Literary cricitism and literary non-fiction
- Davies, J. M. Q., ed. (1994), "Deconstruction in the Classroom: Jane Austen's Persuasion", Bridging the gap: literary theory in the classroom, Locust Hill Press, ISBN 0-933951-60-4
- Check date values in:
- "Visionary Frye", Canadian Review of Comparative Literature/Revue Canadienne de Littérature Comparée, vol. 23 no. 2, June 1996, pp. 590–593, ISSN 0319-051X
- (editor) (c. 2005), Northrop Frye's writings on the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, University of Toronto Press, p. 415, ISBN 0-8020-3824-7
- Donaldson, Jeffery; Mendelson, Alan, eds. (2004), "In the Climates of the Mind': Frye's Career as a Spiral Curriculum", Frye and the word: religious contexts in the writings of Northrop Frye, University of Toronto Press, pp. 43–58, ISBN 0-8020-8813-9
- Womack, Kenneth; et al., eds. (2002), "Northrop Frye (1912-1991)", The Continuum encyclopedia of modern criticism and theory, Continuum, ISBN 0-8264-1414-1
- Gerald Murnane, Oxford University Press, 1993, p. 109, ISBN 0-19-553422-0
- (editor) (1997 & 1999), The Oxford book of Australian essays, Oxford University Press, p. 295, ISBN 0-19-553739-4 Check date values in:
- co-edited with Melleuish, Gregory (2002), Blaming ourselves: September 11 and the agony of the left, Duffy & Snellgrove, p. 265, ISBN 1-876631-37-6
- co-reviewed with Melleuish, Gregory (June–July 2008), "Battle of September 11 by John Carroll (2002). "September 11 and the Agony of the Left"", Australian Book Review, no. 242, pp. 15–16, ISSN 0155-2864
- "Salusinszky, Imre". AustLit Database. Retrieved 17 March 2007.
- "Search Imre Salusinszky". Trove. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 2 January 2011. .
- "The Continuing Crisis". ABC Radio National. Australia. 6 October 2000. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- "Council Members". About us. Australia Council. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- Ziffer, Daniel; Steger, Jason; Grattan, Michelle (17 June 2006). "Arts body postings under fire". The Age. Retrieved 2 January 2011.