Cover of November 2014 issue
|Owner(s)||Quadrant Magazine Ltd.|
Quadrant is an Australian literary and cultural journal. Quadrant reviews literature, as well as featuring essays on ideas and topics such as politics, history, universities, and the arts. It also publishes poetry and short stories.
The magazine was founded in 1956 by Richard Krygier, a Polish-Jewish refugee who had been active in social-democrat politics in Europe and James McAuley, a Catholic poet, famous for the anti-modernist Ern Malley hoax. It was an initiative of the Australian Committee for Cultural Freedom, the Australian arm of the Congress for Cultural Freedom, an anti-communist advocacy group funded by the CIA.
It has had many notable contributors including Les Murray, who has been its literary editor since 1990, Christopher Koch, Patrick O'Brien, Frank Knopfelmacher, A. D. Hope, Heinz Arndt, Greg Sheridan, Barry Humphries, Peter Coleman, Roger Sandall, Tom Switzer, Peter Kocan, Andrew Lansdown, Joe Dolce, Clive James, George Pell and Hal Colebatch, as well as several Labor and Liberal political figures (including John Howard, Tony Abbott, Mark Latham and John Wheeldon).
|Order||Period||Editor||Background / comments|
|1.||1956–1967||James McAuley||Catholic poet|
|2.||1967–1988||Peter Coleman||Writer, journalist, and former New South Wales and Federal Liberal politician|
|3.||1988–1989||Roger Sandall||Writer, anthropologist, Senior Lecturer at University of Sydney|
|4.||1990–1997||Robert Manne||Lecturer at La Trobe University; resigned after repeated disputes with the magazine's editorial board|
|5.||1997–2007||Paddy McGuinness||Journalist and self-described contrarian|
|6.||2008–2015||Keith Windschuttle||Writer and historian|
|7.||2015–||John O'Sullivan||Political advisor and editor|
- Chair of the board and editor-in-chief: Keith Windschuttle
- Editor Quadrant magazine: John O'Sullivan
- Editor, Quadrant Online: Roger Franklin
- Literary Editor: Les Murray
- Deputy Editor: George Thomas
- "Australian Magazines of the Twentieth Century". Austlit. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "About Us". Quadrant. Quadrant Magazine Ltd.
- "About Us". Quadrant. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- About Quadrant Magazine at the Wayback Machine
- "Australian literary magazines". Department of Culture and Recreation. Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- Cubby, Ben (24 October 2007). "Windschuttle to edit Quadrant". The Sydney Morning Herald (Fairfax Media). Retrieved 2008-06-15.
- Keith Windschuttle, (12 February 2015), Quadrant’s New Editor, Quadrant
- Quadrant Magazine
- CIA as Culture Vultures, an essay by Cassandra Pybus, Jacket Magazine, No. 12, July 2000, as an extract from her non-fictional account of the life of James McAuley (see additional reading below)
- Quadrant's 50th anniversary - ABC Radio National Counterpoint 2006 feature interview with Martin Krygier (former Quadrant Director and son of founder), Dame Leonie Kramer AC DBE (former Quadrant Chair), and Paddy McGuinness: transcript located here.