Inarticulate Speech of the Heart
|Inarticulate Speech of the Heart|
|Studio album by Van Morrison|
Reissued June 2008
|Recorded||1982 at The Town House, London; The Record Plant and Harbour Sound, Sausalito, California; Tres Virgos, San Rafael, California and Lombard Sound Studios, Dublin|
|Genre||Celtic, Jazz, New Age|
USA Warner Bros.
|Van Morrison chronology|
|Singles from Inarticulate Speech of the Heart|
Inarticulate Speech of the Heart is the fourteenth studio album by Northern Irish singer-songwriter Van Morrison, released in 1983 (see 1983 in music). Morrison said he arrived at the title from a Shavian saying: "that idea of communicating with as little articulation as possible, at the same time being emotionally articulate". As his last album for Warner Bros. Records, he decided to do an album of mostly instrumentals. As he explained in 1984, "Sometimes when I'm playing something, I'm just sort of humming along with it, and that's got a different vibration than an actual song. So the instrumentals just come from trying to get that form of expression, which is not the same as writing a song."
Although not expanded upon, of note is that a special thanks is given to L. Ron Hubbard in the liner notes.
The June, 2008 re-issued and re-mastered version of the album contains alternative takes of "Cry for Home" and "Inarticulate Speech of the Heart No. 2".
The recording sessions took place in California, Dublin, Ireland and a series of marathon sessions at The Town House in London. Morrison played piano, guitar and saxophone on these sessions. Two Irish musicians played on the album (Arty McGlynn and Davy Spillane) and overall the music had a strong Celtic colouring. Four of the songs were instrumentals.
All songs written by Van Morrison.
- "Higher than the World" – 3:42
- "Connswater" – 4:09
- "River of Time" – 3:02
- "Celtic Swing" – 5:03
- "Rave On, John Donne" – 5:12
- "Inarticulate Speech of the Heart No. 1" – 4:53
- "Irish Heartbeat" – 4:40
- "The Street Only Knew Your Name" – 3:36
- "Cry for Home" – 3:44
- "Inarticulate Speech of the Heart No. 2" – 3:53
- "September Night" – 5:16
Bonus tracks (2008 CD reissue)
- "Cry for Home" - 3:49 (alternate take)
- "Inarticulate Speech of the Heart No. 2" - 4:48 (alternate take)
- Van Morrison - guitar, electric piano, alto saxophone, vocal
- David Hayes - bass
- Mark Isham - synthesizer, trumpet
- John Allair - organ, electric piano
- Pee Wee Ellis - tenor and soprano saxophones, flute
- Tom Donlinger - percussion, drums
- Mihr Un Nisa Douglass - backing vocals
- Stephanie Douglass - backing vocals
- Pauline Lozana - backing vocals
- Arty McGlynn - acoustic guitar
- Davy Spillane - uilleann pipes, alto flute
- Chris Michie - guitar
- Annie Stocking - backing vocals
- Bianca Thornton - backing vocals
- Peter Van Hooke - drums, tambourine
Album - Billboard
Album - UK Album Chart
|1983||UK Album Chart||24|
- Allmusic review
- Robert Christgau review
- Rolling Stone review
- Scaruffi, Piero (1999). "Van Morrison". pieroscaruffi.com. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Heylin, Can You Feel the Silence?, p. 376-377
- Van Morrison Official Website
- Heylin, Can You Feel the Silence. p.377
- Hinton, Celtic Crossroads, p. 239
- Chart Stats: Van Morrison
- Heylin, Clinton (2003). Can You Feel the Silence? Van Morrison: A New Biography, Chicago Review Press ISBN 1-55652-542-7
- Hinton, Brian (1997). Celtic Crossroads: The Art of Van Morrison, Sanctuary, ISBN 1-86074-169-X