||It has been suggested that Inter-parliamentary institution be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since July 2012.|
An international parliament is a branch of an intergovernmental organization tasked with legislative powers and thus establishing a hybrid system of not only intergovernmentalism, but also supranationalism. It could be based on a predecessor inter-parliamentary institution or a newly established organization-level legislature.
Such branches of intergovernmental organizations are typically established in order to provide for representation of citizens, rather than governments who are represented in other bodies within the organization. The assembly can be composed of members of the national legislatures (whose members are directly elected in most cases) or of its own directly elected members, further strengthening the supranationalism of the organization.
List of international parliaments
- The initially consultative European Parliamentary Assembly of ECSC, EEC and Euratom subsequently was renamed, gained legislative powers and became directly elected.
- Multiple regional organizations in Latin America such as the Rio Group, Latin American Economic System and Latin American Integration Association have similar membership.
- Multiple regional organizations in the British Isles have similar membership.
- The Asian Cooperation Dialogue continental organization has similar membership.
- Parliamentary Assembly established by the Cotonou Agreement between the European Union and the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States.
- Related to the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership initiative of the EU's European Neighborhood Policy.
- There are proposals to transform the Pan African Parliament into a directly elected international parliament with legislative powers.
- Established by the parliaments of the European Union, Mercosur, Andean Community, Central American Integration System, Mexico, Chile and the Latin American Parliament.
- The Mercosur Parliament is expected to transform into a directly elected international parliament in 2014.
- Related to the Eastern Partnership initiative of the EU's European Neighborhood Policy.