Iris Bohnet, a Swiss academic, is Academic Dean and Professor of Public Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She is also the director of the Women and Public Policy Program, an associate director of the Harvard Decision Science Laboratory, and the faculty chair of the executive program “Global Leadership and Public Policy for the 21st Century” for the World Economic Forum’s Young Global Leaders. She serves on the boards of the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, the Vienna University of Economics and Business and numerous academic journals. Additionally, she is a member of the Global Agenda Council on Women’s Empowerment of the World Economic Forum.
Dr. Bohnet teaches decision-making, negotiation and gender in public policy and leadership in both degree and executive programs, and has been engaged in the teaching, training and consulting of private and public sector leaders in the United States, Europe, India and the Middle East.
A behavioral economist combining insights from economics and psychology, her research focuses on questions of trust and decision-making, often with a gender or cross-cultural perspective. Her most recent research examines “gender equality nudges,” which are described as "interventions to overcome gender biases and discrimination in organizations, politics and society." Dr. Bohnet’s academic work has been published in the top peer-reviewed journals of her profession, including The American Economic Review, American Political Science Review, and The Quarterly Journal of Economics. Her work has been profiled by media outlets around the world, including Bilanz, Bloomberg News, The Boston Globe, The Economist, Emirates Business, Financial Times, Forbes, Handelsblatt, The Huffington Post, Neue Zürcher Zeitung, The New York Times, Tages-Anzeiger, Swiss Television, and The Wall Street Journal.
A native of Switzerland, she received her Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Zurich in 1997 and spent a year as a research fellow at the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley from 1997-1998. She joined the Harvard Kennedy School as an assistant professor in 1998 and was made full professor in 2006.
Bohnet, Iris; Greig, Fiona; Herrman, Benedikt; Zeckhauser, Richard (2008). "Betrayal Aversion". American Economic Review 98 (1): 294–310. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
Bohnet, Iris; Herrman, Benedikt; Zeckhauser, Richard (2010). "Trust and the Reference Points for Trustworthiness in Gulf and Western Countries". Quarterly Journal of Economics CXXV (2): 811–828. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
Bohnet, Iris. "Gender equality: A Nudge in the Right Direction." Financial Times, 13 October 2010.
- "Harvard Kennedy School: Academic Dean's Office". Harvard Kennedy School website. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Harvard Kennedy School Women and Public Policy Program: About". Harvard Kennedy School website. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Harvard Decision Science Laboratory at Harvard Kennedy School: Faculty". Harvard Decision Science Laboratory website. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education: Faculty". Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education website. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "The Graduate Institute, Geneva: The Foundation Board". The Graduate Institute, Geneva website. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Vienna University of Economics and Business: Wissenschaftlicher Beirat". Vienna University of Economics and Business website. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Global Agenda Council on Womens Empowerment 2011: Members". World Economic Forum website. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Harvard Kennedy School: Iris Bohnet". Harvard Kennedy School website. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Board of Directors of Credit Suisse Group AG". Retrieved 26 January 2014.