Irma Kurti, a poet and writer was born on March 20, 1966 in Tirana, Albania. She graduated from the University of Tirana,in the English Department in 1988. She has worked as a teacher of English and later as a journalist in some newspapers, like “Mësuesi”, “Dita informacion” etc. In September 1997 she attended a one year course for the learning of Greek language and culture in the University of Athens, Greece. In this period she has participated in numerous courses of specialization for journalism and other issues in Greece, Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, USA.
Irma Kurti has begun writing poetries at an early age. In 1980 she won the first prize in the National Competition on the occasion of the 35-anniversary of the journal “Pionieri”. In 1989 she won the second prize among the young poets in the Competition organized by Radio-Tirana on the occasion of the 45- anniversary of the liberation of Albania.
Irma Kurti is one of the very few female poets in Albania that has contributed for a lot of years as a writer of the text songs. Her name is well known by the public because of participating in many song festivals and other important concerts. Many of her songs are honored with prizes and they are still unforgettable lyrics. In 1998 she launched a cassette and a CD with the most successful songs based on her poetries and the second musical CD with her texts was released in 2013.
The poems of Irma Kurti have been included in some publications of the International Library of Poetry in Maryland, USA as in the Anthology: “Forever Spoken”, "The best poems and poets of 2007" etc.
Her poetries and stories have been included too in the anthologies: “Il Federiciano”, publication of the Publishing House "Aletti Editore" 2010, "Diffusione Autori" 2011, of "GDS Edizioni", "Lingua Madre- Stories of foreign women in Italy, 2012/2013", “The Universal Encyclopedia of Italian Authors 2013” etc.
In the year 2013 she wins the IX Edition International Prize “Universum Donna” for the Literature and receives the “Ambassador of Peace” nomination from the University of Peace of Lugano, Switzerland.
She actually lives in Bergamo, Italy.
Books published by Irma Kurti
- Këtë natë me ty “This night with you”-poetries 1999
- Shihemi në një tjetër botë "See you in another world”- poetries 2002
- Qirinjtë janë fikur “The candles are blown out”- poetries 2003
- Bëj sikur fle “Pretending to sleep”-poetries 2005
- Puthja e fundit ”The last kiss”-poetries 2007
- Midis dy brigjeve ”Between two coasts”-Autobiographic 2010
- Një vjeshtë pa kthim "An autumn with no return"- stories 2013
- Nën bluzën time "Under my blouse" - poetries 2013
- Copëza shënimesh nëpër rrugët e shkreta "Fragments of notes in the deserted streets"-journalism articles 2013
Books in Italian
- Tra le due rive “Between two coasts” - Kimerik Publishing House, 2011
- Risvegliare un amore spento “To awaken a forgotten love” - poetries - Aletti Editor, 2011
- Un autunno senza ritorno “An autumn with no return” - stories - Kimerik Publishing House, 2012
- Sotto la mia maglia “Under my blouse” - poetries - Kimerik Publishing House, 2013
- Third prize at the International Contest of Poetry and Prose 2010 of the “Napoli Cultural Classic” Association, Italy, in the category of the foreign authors.
- Special prize at the International Contest of Poetry and Prose 2011 "Coluccio Salutati", Borgo a Buggiano, Pistoia with the poetry: “And I come back”.
- First prize at the International Contest of Poetry and Prose 2011 “Napoli Cultural Classic” in the category of the foreign authors with the poetry: “Under my blouse”.
- First prize in the section of prose of the International Contest “Lake Gerundo -Europe and Culture”, ninth edition, 2011, at the city of Paullo, Milano, with the book “Between two coasts”.
- Honorable Mention at the International Contest “Lands of Liguria 2011”, La Spezia with the book “Between two coasts”.
- Critics prize at the International Contest of Poetry and Prose “The cultural integration for a better world”, Milano with the book of poetries: "To awaken a forgotten love".
- Special Prize Targa Accademia Gentium Pro pace at the XIII Edition 2012 of the International Literary Contest Europe, at Lugano, Switzerland with the book: “Between two coasts”.
- Third prize at the International Literary Contest of Poetry and Prose 2012, City of Recco, Genoa, with the book: "To awaken a forgotten love”.
- Second prize at the 26° International Literary Contest “Giovani Gronchi” in Pontedera, Pisa with the book: “An autumn with no return”.
- Third prize at the International Literary Contest: “Europa” 2013, at Lugano, Switzerland with the book: “An autumn with no return”.
- The International Prize “Universum Donna” for the Literature, IX Edition 2013 and the “Ambassador of Peace” nomination from the University of Peace of Lugano, Switzerland.
- Third prize at the fourth edition of the Literary Contest Valle Vigezzo “Andrea Testore“ with the story: “The secret of a spring day”.
- Third prize at “Giovanni Gronchi 2013” Literary Contest in Pontedera (Pisa) with the book: “Between two coasts”.