Italia Federici (born August 12, 1969), the former president of the Council of Republicans for Environmental Advocacy (CREA). Federici was also a political aide to Secretary of the Interior and CREA co-founder Gale Norton. She pleaded guilty in June 2007 to tax evasion and obstructing the United States Senate investigation into the Jack Abramoff Indian lobbying scandal and was sentenced to four years probation.
Council of Republicans for Environmental Advocacy
Federici founded CREA with Norton and Americans for Tax Reform president Grover Norquist, a college friend of Abramoff, in 1997 with money Federici inherited; The organization was also funded by, and supported the goals of, mining and other industries.
Federici introduced Jack Abramoff to Deputy Secretary of the Interior J. Steven Griles in March 2001, just before Griles started at the Department of the Interior. Abramoff donated more than $400,000 to CREA, after which time she allegedly began using her connections with Griles to influence him to make decisions beneficial to Abramoff's tribal benefactors.
In emails, Abramoff claimed that "she is critical" to his work with the Department of Interior, especially with regards to preventing the Jena Band of Choctaws Indian Tribe from creating a casino, that would take money away from one of Abramoff's "core tribes". A February 18, 2003, email from Abramoff to Federici said "...This will be a PR disaster as you can imagine, especially if for some reason Interior agrees to approve this deal. McCrery and Vitter (the other R's in the delegation) are furious beyond belief. This is going to get really ugly. Please let Steve know about this. Thanks so much Italia!". The email referred to Griles, who is reported to have been romantically connected to Federici.
Federici also pleaded guilty to failure to file tax returns from 2001 - 2003; Furthermore, she did not pay income tax from 2001 through 2003.
In December 2007, Federici was sentenced to four years probation, and $77,243 in restitution of back taxes.
Despite being a convicted felon and admitted tax evader, Federici continues her energy policy career. Her most recent article excoriating "The Left" on their drilling policies appeared in the Climate Depot project of CFACT, an organization supported by pro-development donors.
- Council of Republicans for Environmental Advocacy
- Six Lies and Videotape, GOPUSA - Article by Federici, herself, written to announce CREA's latest anti-environmentalist video.
- An e-mail trail of money and influence, The Christian Science Monitor, January 12, 2006.
- CREW DEMANDS FEDERICI BE REFERRED TO DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE FOR PERJURY INVESTIGATION - Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
- Email records between Italia Federici and Jack Abramoff from the U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- The greening of Italia Federici, salon.com, November 18, 2005.
- Abramoff Witness Frustrates Panel, washingtonpost.com, November 18, 2005.
- Casino Bid Prompted High-Stakes Lobbying, washingtonpost.com, March 13, 2005.
- Michael Scherer (November 18, 2005). "The greening of Italia Federici". Salon.
- Matt Apuzzo (June 6, 2007). "New Charges Filed in Abramoff Probe". Associated Press.
- Mark Heilprin (June 8, 2007). "GOP fundraiser pleads guilty in probe". Associated Press.
- Susan Schmidt (December 15, 2007). "Republican With Links to Abramoff Is Sentenced". Washington Post.
- Mike Soraghan (June 7, 2007). "Norton aide cops a plea". The Hill.
- "Senate Indian Affairs Hearings, testimony by Italia Federici (video)". Senate Indian Affairs Committee. November 17, 2005.
- Susan Schmidt (November 18, 2005). "Abramoff Witness Frustrates Panel: E-Mails Suggest She Was Lobbyist's Connection to Interior Official". Washington Post. p. A08.
- Susan Schmidt (March 13, 2005). "Casino Bid Prompted High-Stakes Lobbying". Washington Post.
- Edmund L. Andrews (March 23, 2007). "Ex-Deputy of Interior Dept. Pleads Guilty". New York Times.
- Italia Federici (April 18, 2011). "If the Left Gave a Damn, They'd Drill: How the Left is Selling-Out its Entire (Purported) Base on Behalf of the 'Green; Lobby". Climate Depot.