|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. (December 2012)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (May 2012)|
|Slogan||Become fluent in any language|
|Type of site||Language Learning|
|Registration||Required for contacting members|
|Available language(s)||English, Spanish, French, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), Japanese, Arabic, Korean, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Bahasa (Indonesian), Swedish, Polish, Hindi, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese|
|Owner||italki HK Limited|
|Alexa rank||9,886 (December 2013[update])|
italki is an educational technology website that helps foreign language learners connect with online teachers and native-speaking language partners. italki users are able to search for a freelance teacher, schedule and pay for language lessons. italki teachers are able to create a profile, and build a personal reputation.
italki has features to support synchronous language learning. Membership on italki is free, but registration is required to contact other members. Payment is required to schedule lessons with online teachers.
Paying users on italki are able to take lessons from freelance online teachers. Teachers on italki are designed as "professional teachers" or "community tutors", the former having professional teaching experience or certifications. Both types of teachers are able to create a teacher profile, and set their own rates for payment.
As teachers conclude lessons, they receive feedback and ratings from italki students. 
Most lessons take place on Skype or other VOIP systems. italki charges a 15% service fee for successful lesson transactions.
Social Language Learning
italki users are able to make friends for language exchange, ask questions about language learning, write essays and receive corrections, and enter into language discussions. These features depend on responses from native speakers that are also members of the italki community.
In August 2012, italki completed an round of financing for an undisclosed amount from angel investors.
- "Italki.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "italki.com brings language teaching to market," Ryan McLaughlin, CNet Asia, http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/thetechdynasty/post.htm?id=63009740, March 24, 2009
- "italki launches marketplace for language tutors," Camille Ricketts, VentureBeat, http://venturebeat.com/2009/03/25/italki-launches-marketplace-for-language-tutors/, March 25th, 2009
- italki | CrunchBase Profile
- "Six Years In, Language Learning Site Italki Finds Its Angels", Hamish Mackenzie, Pando Daily, http://pando.com/2012/08/09/six-years-in-language-learning-site-italki-finds-its-angels/, August 9, 2012.