|Minister of Justice|
10 October 2008 – 7 July 2010
|Prime Minister||Ivo Sanader (2008–2009)
Jadranka Kosor (2009–2010)
|Preceded by||Ana Lovrin|
|Succeeded by||Dražen Bošnjaković|
2 May 1959 |
Zagreb, PR Croatia, FPR Yugoslavia
|Alma mater||University of Zagreb|
Ivan Šimonović (Croatian pronunciation: [ǐʋan ʃimǒːnoʋit͡ɕ]; born 2 May 1959) is a Croatian diplomat, politician and law scholar. In October 2008 he was appointed Justice Minister of Croatia. On May 3, 2010, Šimonović was appointed UN Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights.
Šimonović graduated from the University of Zagreb Law School in 1982. He obtained a doctoral degree in 1990, at the age of 31. Šimonović joined Croatian diplomacy after the break-up of Yugoslavia. He was an assistant to Foreign Minister Mate Granić during the 1990s, although he never joined the ruling party, the Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ).
In 1997, Croatian President Franjo Tuđman named him ambassador to the United Nations. Šimonović served there until 2002. While serving there, Šimonović presided over the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
In 2002 he became Deputy Foreign Minister in Ivica Račan government. Again, he didn't join the ruling party, SDP. However, when HDZ swung back to power in 2003, Šimonović was not offered a job in the new government.
In 2004, Šimonović became a professor at the University of Zagreb Law School, where he teaches general theory of law and state and international relations.
Šimonović was appointed Minister of Justice-designate of Croatia by PM Ivo Sanader on October 6, 2008. His predecessor, Ana Lovrin, had resigned the same day following a series of unsolved assaults and murders linked to Croatian organized crime that culminated with the murder of Ivana Hodak, daughter of a prominent Croatian lawyer Zvonimir Hodak. However, Ivana Hodak was later found to have been murdered as part of a retaliation of a homeless man to Zvonimir Hodak.
- "Croatia murder: Ministers fired". Sky News. 11 October 2008. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "AMBASSADOR IVAN SIMONOVIC" (PDF). United Nations. 2002.
- Agnihotri, Newal K (1 May 1999). "Current Issues: Electronic Interview.(Croatian Ambassador Ivan Simonovic, Netherlands Information Officer Peter Mollema, US Senators Paul Wellstone and Charles Robb)". Presidents & Prime Ministers.
- "UN extends US immunity". BBC. 12 June 2003. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Police nab Ivana Hodak killer". B92. 6 February 2009. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Secretary-General Appoints Ivan Šimonovic of Croatia Assistant Secretary-General in New York Human Rights Office" (Press release). United Nations. May 3, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-05.