Izak van der Westhuizen
|Full name||Izak Petrus van der Westhuizen|
23 January 1986 |
Kimberley, South Africa
|Height||1.96 m (6 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||111 kg (17 st 7 lb)|
|School(s) attended||Diamantveld High School|
|University||University of the Free State|
|2005–07||Free State Cheetahs|
|2007–12||Free State Cheetahs||79||(5)|
|* Senior club appearances and points correct as of 17 June 2014.
† Appearances (Points).
Free State Cheetahs and Cheetahs
Van der Westhuizen made his first class debut during the 2007 Vodacom Cup, starting in Free State's opening match of the season against the Border Bulldogs in East London. Three substitute appearances followed in their next three matches before he made another start against the SWD Eagles, scoring his first (and, as at March 2014, only) try in his senior career.
He made one appearance for the Currie Cup side in 2008 – a pre-season compulsory friendly against the Leopards – but it wasn't until the 2009 season that he made his Currie Cup debut for the Free State Cheetahs, coming on as a substitute against the Natal Sharks.
Despite an injury-plagued first season, where he made just 6 appearances, Van der Westhuizen recovered to become a regular for Edinburgh during the 2013–14 Pro 12 and 2013–14 Heineken Cup competitions, making a total of 29 appearances.
Eastern Province Kings
On 10 March 2014, Edinburgh announced that Van der Westhuizen would join the Eastern Province Kings prior to the 2014 Currie Cup Premier Division season on a three-year deal, subject to a medical. However, since Van der Westhuizen suffered three concussions since the start of 2014, a specialist advised that he should not play any rugby for six month to a year. He did not pass the medical at the Eastern Province Kings and the contract was subsequently cancelled.
- "SARU Player Profile Izak van der Westhuizen". South African Rugby Union. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Match Breakdown: Border vs Free State". South African Rugby Union. 23 February 2007. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Match Breakdown: SWD vs Free State". South African Rugby Union. 24 March 2007. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Match Breakdown: Platinum Leopards vs Vodacom FS Cheetahs". South African Rugby Union. 13 June 2008. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Match Breakdown: Vodacom Free State Cheetahs vs Sharks". South African Rugby Union. 31 July 2009. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "2010 Cheetahs Super 14 season". South African Rugby Union. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Match Breakdown: Brumbies vs Vodacom Cheetahs". South African Rugby Union. 10 April 2010. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Reid, Alasdair (22 May 2012). "Edinburgh sign South African lock Izak van der Westhuizen". The Telegraph. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Van der Westhuizen to join the Kings" (Press release). Edinburgh Rugby. 10 March 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Kings cast big Izak aside". Rugby365. 17 June 2014. Retrieved 17 June 2014.