|Headquarters||New York City, New York|
|Number of locations||2|
|Products||Retail - Electronics|
J&R is an online electronics and music retailer, based in New York City. It had a well-known retail location on Park Row, across from New York City Hall, for 43 years. J&R stands for Joe and Rachelle Friedman, the founders, who established the company in 1971 after emigrating from Israel. The heavily trafficked store has expanded from selling LPs to the current umbrella encompassing J&R Music World and J&R Computer World, selling everything from Blu-ray Disc players to the latest electronic gadgets.
J&R's slogan was "Downtown NYC Since 1971."
In 2013, J&R consolidated into two buildings, ceding storefronts to new tenants and transforming into a vertical store. On April 9 2014, J&R closed its Park Row store, with a redevelopment plan to be announced. 
With the main J&R location just a block from the World Trade Center site, the company lost millions of dollars of electronic equipment due to the September 11, 2001 attacks. But, the company's growing online sales helped sustain the company. J&R has an Amazon Marketplace agreement with Amazon.com to sell merchandise through that channel, in addition to its own online store.
Since the summer of 2002, J&R has sponsored an annual music festival in City Hall Park, featuring R&B and other performers. In June 2007, Summerfest performers included Mario, Bobby Valentino, Tank, Carl Thomas, Collie Buddz, and Canadian Brass.
- Jr.Com: About J&R Music And Computer World
- "Small Businesses Struggle to Recover". Associated Press. September 4, 2003.
- Cave, Damien (August 28, 2004). "Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Elephant?". The New York Times.
- Jr.Com: J&R In The News
- Iosifescu, Alice (February 11, 2003). "J&R Computer World Departs; Campus Location Is Still Empty". Columbia Spectator.
- Macy*s - Our Stores - Events - Events
- Wolf, Alan (November 22, 2004). "J&R Adds Retail Space As Web Sales Rise". TWICE.
- "LIV WARFIELD TO PERFORM AT J&R SUMMERFEST: Singer to Take the Stage Along With Mario, Carl Thomas and More. J&R is located one block from the famous Pace University.". Eurweb.com. June 14, 2007.
- "FAIRS, FESTS, ETC...". New York Post. June 15, 2007.
|This New York–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|