|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
|Broadcast area||Gauteng, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West|
|Branding||Jacaranda FM, previously Jacaranda 94.2|
|Slogan||"80’s, 90’s and now"|
|Frequency||93.9 - 97.1 MHz FM|
|First air date||January 1, 1986|
|Format||Adult Contemporary; Commercial|
|Transmitter coordinates||Pretoria-Gelukskroon (Magaliesberg Mountain Range)|
|Owner||Kagiso Media; Lagardère Active|
|Sister stations||East Coast Radio; OFM; Heart 104.9; iGagasi 99.5fm; Kaya FM|
|Webcast||Jacaranda 94.2 Webcast|
|Website||Jacaranda FM Website|
Jacaranda FM, previously known as Jacaranda 94.2, is a commercial South African radio station, broadcasting in English and Afrikaans, with a footprint that covers Gauteng, Limpopo, Mpumalanga and the North West Province and boasts a listening audience of more than 2 million people a week, and a digital community of more than 800k. The station's format is mainstream adult contemporary with programming constructed around a playlist of hit music from the 80's, 90's and now.
According to the latest official numbers from the South African Advertising Research Foundation  released in 2014, Jacaranda FM is the no. 1 station among Afrikaans home language consumers in Gauteng province, and one of the top 10 stations in the country. Gauteng is South Africa's economic powerhouse and home to the vast majority of the country's economically active population.
Jacaranda FM operates a regional transmitter split service from a studio in Nelspruit. It can be heard in most of the Capricorn, Bushveld and Lowveld regions of the Limpopo Province as well as in the Mpumalanga Lowveld, notably Nelspruit and the Kruger National Park. Split broadcasts occur each weekday from 12:00-16:00 and on Saturdays from 10:00-14:00. Morning and afternoon drive time newscasts are also fed to the regional audience.
The station started broadcasting at midnight on 1 January 1986 during a special outside broadcast from a New Year's Eve ball in the Pretoria City Hall. Radio Jakaranda/Radio Jacaranda was established as a result of the restructuring of the South African Broadcasting Corporation's regional radio portfolio following their decision to discontinue the popular Springbok Radio on 31 December 1985. The original three regional services, Radio Good Hope, Radio Port Natal and Radio Highveld were expanded with three new services - Radio Jacaranda, Radio Oranje and Radio Algoa. Jacaranda's transmitting signal was upgraded to stereo in 1990 - coupled with a name change to Jakaranda Stereo/Jacaranda Stereo. In 1994, the name was changed again to Jacaranda 94-97. The original location was Studio RS9 at SABC Northern Transvaal Broadcasting Services in Weavind Park, Pretoria until a move to a highly visible location next to the N1 Ben Schoeman Freeway on Samrand Avenue, Centurion, when the station was privatised in 1997 - and renamed "Jacaranda 94.2 - More Music, More Stars/Meer Musiek, Meer Sterre". In 1999, the payoff line changed to "Your Soothing Companion/Jou Streler Speler", and currently is "SA's best mix of the 80s 90s and now".
Prominent past presenters of this radio station include: Fanus Rautenbach, Willem Engelbrecht, Ben Theunissen, Helen Naudé, Theo Conradie, Tom Henderson, Alida Theron, Anelle Schotkamp-Hugo, Pierre Schnehage, Anton Schmidt, Derrich Gardner, Morné Zeelie, Elana Afrika, Kieno Kammies, Duncan Pollock, Clayton Robbertze and Darren Scott.
Jacaranda FM is part of Kagiso Media, South Africa's biggest black owned media company. Jacaranda FM is the group's top performer and is currently South Africa's number 1 independent radio station by weekly audience figures (2 089 000 weekly listeners - RAMS June 2014)
Jacaranda FM operates primarily from their studio offices in Midrand, Johannesburg. Address: Jacaranda Broadcast Centre 89 14th Road, Erand Gardens, Midrand, PO Box 11961, Centurion 0046.
They also have a secondary studio in the Montecasino complex, Johannesburg. The regional split is broadcast from Nelspruit, where another satellite studio can be found at Emnotweni Casino.
The station moved into a new building in Midrand, in December 2012, approximately 6 km South of the previous location on Samrand Avenue, Kosmosdal.
Jacaranda FM unveiled its new brand identity and payoff line at the 2nd annual Jacaranda Day at Loftus Versfeld - 14 April 2012. The new identity complements the Jacaranda FM brand - a brand that is locally rooted, globally savvy, music-driven, accessible, trusted, caring and all-round fun.The icon shape and look is inspired by a guitar plectrum, which also looks like a ‘play’ button. A “J” has been carved into the plectrum creating a unique signature. The payoff line, “SA’s best mix of the 80’s, 90’s and now” is a statement that undisputedly positions Jacaranda FM as the foremost radio station in South Africa that plays the best mix of music from the past as well as keeping up with the current hits.
Current weekday presenter lineup
- 01:00-04:00: AMs with Mack
- 04:00-06:00: Ilze-Marie Meintjies
- 06:00-09:00: The Complimentary Breakfast with Rian van Heerden as host, Dianne Broodryk (News), Robbie Kruse (Sport), Thabiso Khambule (Traffic), and MalJan
- 09:00-12:00: Workzone 1 with Frankie du Toit, Rozanne McKenzie & Gerda de Sousa (News)
- 12:00-16:00: Workzone 2 with Barney Simon & Gerda de Sousa & Carmen Cairncross (News)
- 12:00-16:00: Jacaranda Regional - Wayne Snyman, Tshakane Ndubane and Sune du Toit live from Nelspruit
- 16:00-19:00: The Martin Bester Drive with Martin Bester, Marius van der Walt (News), Janina Oberholzer (Sport)
- 19:00-22:00: The Lounge live from Montecasino with Kriya and Cassie
- 22:00-00:00: Tsholofelo Phiri
Current weekend presenter lineup
- 06:00-10:00: The Wake Up Shake Up with Andrew Sorrill
- 10:00-12:00: Kia Top 20 with Paul Rotherham from the Montecasino studio
- 12:00-16:00: Lundi Cavernelis from Montecasino
- 16:00-20:00: ChillNET Sessions with Mack Rapapali from Montecasino
- 20:00-00:00: House Party with DJ Jazzy D
- 06:00-10:00: The Wake Up Shake Up with Andrew Sorrill
- 10:00-13:00: Closet Classics with Barney Simon from the Montecasino studio
- 12:00-16:00: Paul Rotherham from the Montecasino studio
- 16:00-20:00: Pieter Koen from the Montecasino studio
- 20:00-00:00: Lundi Cavernelis from the Montecasino studio
Playout and transmission
Jacaranda FM utilises G-Selector music scheduling and Zetta playout software from Radio Computing Services (RCS).
The FM signal is beamed via STL from the Jacaranda Broadcast Centre in Centurion and carried on 22 transmitters broadcasting on frequencies ranging from 93.9 - 97.1 MHz. These transmitters are operated by South Africa's state-owned broadcast signal distributor Sentech.
In addition to the conventional over-the-air FM broadcast, Jacaranda FM is also available on the DStv audio bouquet (Channel 158). The DStv IS-7 Ku band satellite footprint blankets the whole of South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and the southern half of Malawi.
Live worldwide audio streaming is hosted on its website.
- List of analogue terrestrial (FM) transmitters:
- 93.90 MHz - Louis Trichardt
- 94.60 MHz - Potgietersrus-Sugarloaf Hill
- 95.10 MHz - Thabazimbi-Kransberg
- 95.20 MHz - Hoedspruit-Mariepskop
- 95.50 MHz - Blouberg
- 95.80 MHz - Tzaneen
- 96.10 MHz - Nylstroom-Ruskloof
- 94.00 MHz - Dullstroom-Mareskop
- 95.00 MHz - Middelburg
- 95.30 MHz - Piet Retief-Goedetrouw
- 95.70 MHz - Nelspruit-Spitskop
- 95.80 MHz - Volksrust
- 96.00 MHz - Lydenburg
- 96.20 MHz - Carolina-Pittville
- 96.70 MHz - Davel
- 97.10 MHz - Sabie-Klein-Spitskop
|7 Day||Ave. Mon-Fri|
|May 2013||1 855 000||909 000|
|Feb 2013||1 744 000||831 000|
|Dec 2012||1 796 000||835 000|
|Oct 2012||1 869 000||843 000|
|Aug 2012||1 771 000||780 000|
|Jun 2012||1 774 000||804 000|
- www.jacarandafm.com - Jacaranda FM consumer website
- www.radmark.co.za - radmark, airtime sales house
- www.digitalmark.co.za - digitalmark, online sales house
- www.kagisomedia.co.za - Kagiso Media Limited, majority shareholder
- www.lagardere.com - Lagardère Active, minority shareholder
- jacaranda 94.2 listen live- Listen jacaranda 94.2 Online
- SAARF Website
- Sentech Website