Jamais Cascio resides in the San Francisco Bay Area Cascio received his undergraduate degree from UC Santa Cruz and later attended UC Berkeley. In the 1990s, Cascio worked for the futurist and scenario planning firm Global Business Network. In 2007 he was a lead author on the Metaverse Roadmap Overview.
On November 29, 2010, Worldchanging announced that due to fundraising difficulties it would shut down. It has since merged with Architecture for Humanity, though detailed plans for the site's future have not been released.
Open the Future
In early 2006, Cascio established Open The Future as his online home, a title based on his WorldChanging essay, The Open Future.
Public speaking and research affiliations
Cascio currently serves as Director of Impacts Analysis for the Center for Responsible Nanotechnology.
Cascio was a speaker on the "On The Edge of Independent User-Creation in Gamespace" panel at the 2007 SXSW Interactive Festival.
Cascio is a Research Fellow at the Institute for the Future where together with Jane McGonigal in 2008 he helped create and administer the large scale collaborative multiplayer game Superstruct as an advanced strategy to engage lots of other hopeful thinkers in the pursuit of possible strategies and positive outcomes of a proposed future scenario occurring in 2019.
In 2006, Cascio presented a TED Talk at the TED conference "The Future We Will Create," in Monterey, California. In the presentation he outlined possible available solutions for the emerging world climate and energy crisis.
- Transhuman Space: Broken Dreams (2003).
- Transhuman Space: Toxic Memes (2004).
- Hacking the Earth: Understanding the Consequences of Geoengineering (2009).
Selected writings and talks
- Participatory Panopticon IT Conversations February 5, 2005
- Personal Memory Assistants IT Conversations September 17, 2005
- TED Talks: Jamais Cascio on tools for building a better world at TED in 2006
- Carbon Footprint of a Cheeseburger on KQED Radio Jun 14, 2007
- Metaversed Road Map Report PDF June 21, 2007
- Innovation the Shape of Things to Come Metropolis Magazine 10-07
- Battlefield Earth Foreign Policy January 2008
- Machine Ethics Fastcompany.com Apr 8, 2009
- Cascios Law of Robotics video, Law of Robotics Slides March 2009
- Get Smarter The Atlantic, July/August 2009
- It's Time to Cool the Planet The Wall Street Journal, June 15, 2009
- The Next Big Thing: Resilience Foreign Policy May/June 2009
- Putting the Human Back Into the Post-Human Jamais Cascio at Future Salon NYC, Oct 4, 2009
- Jamais Cascio on the Carbon Footprint of the American Cheeseburger (Audio) – Interview of Jamais Cascio by TreeHugger Radio January 15, 2007
- Interview with Jamais Cascio at BBC WorldService (Real Audio file)
- SIAI Interview with Jamais Cascio Singularity Summit August 24, 2008
- SXSW: Futurist Jamais Cascio Sees GOP Filters, Alt Energy Wired interview By Alexis Madrigal March 10, 2008
- National Geographic Television's SIX DEGREES documentary featuring Cascio 2008
- Resilience economics – Jamais Cascio’s 2020 vision Futurismic : Paul Raven April 1, 2009
- 2009 – Foreign Policy Magazine No. 72 among their "Top 100 Global Thinkers".
- Jamais Cascio Bio, Open The Future. Openthefuture.com. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/bio/cascio/ Jamais Cascio Bio Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies]. Ieet.org. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- Metaverse Overview PDF. (PDF) . Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- Jamais Cascio IFTF Bio[dead link]
- "Thank You for Seven Years of Worldchanging". Retrieved December 1, 2010.
- Jamais Cascio Bio Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies. Ieet.org. Retrieved on November 29, 2011.
- IEET bio Jamais Cascio. Ieet.org. Retrieved on November 29, 2011.
- SXSW Speaker bio Jamais Cascio
- Jamais Cascio joins circle of IFTF Research Fellows. Iftf.org. Retrieved on November 29, 2011.