Jane S. Richards
|Jane S. Richards|
|First Counselor in the general
presidency of the Relief Society
|October 11, 1888– November 10, 1901|
|Called by||Zina D. H. Young|
|Predecessor||Zina D. H. Young|
|Successor||Annie Taylor Hyde|
January 31, 1823
Parmelia, New York, United States
|Died||November 17, 1912
Ogden, Utah, United States
|Resting place||Ogden City Cemetery
|Spouse||Franklin D. Richards|
Franklin S. Richards
Jane Snyder Richards (January 31, 1823–November 17, 1912) was a counselor to Zina D. H. Young in the general presidency of the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1888 to 1901.
Jane Snyder was born to Isaac Richards Snyder and his wife Louise Comstock in Parmelia, Jefferson County, New York. Her parents and siblings joined the LDS Church while in Upper Canada, but Jane did not join until January 1840. Her baptism was performed by cutting the ice at LaPorte, Indiana.
Richards was a member of the original Relief Society that was established in 1842 in Nauvoo, Illinois. She served on the General Board (called the Central Board until 1892) of the Relief Society from 1888 to 1910. She was a counselor to general president Zina D. H. Young from 1888 to 1901. Richards was the Relief Society delegate to the National Council of Women in 1891.
Richards also served as president of a local Relief Society in Weber County, Utah. When this Relief Society was formed, it was the first Relief Society to be created between the general organization and the most local ward-level organizations.
- Ludlow, Daniel H, ed. (1992). "Biographical Register of General Church Officers". Encyclopedia of Mormonism. New York: Macmillan Publishing. p. 1644. ISBN 0-02-879602-0. OCLC 24502140 Free on-line version here.
- Quinn, D. Michael (January 1980). "They Served: The Richards Legacy in the Church". Ensign (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Retrieved April 20, 2012.
- History of the Relief Society, 1842-1966. (Salt Lake City: Relief Society General Board, 1966) p. 59.
- Andrew Jenson. Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia, vol. 4, p. 303.
- Ludlow, Daniel H, ed. (1992). Encyclopedia of Mormonism. New York: Macmillan Publishing. p. 1644. ISBN 0-02-879602-0. OCLC 24502140 Free on-line version here.
- Jenson, Andrew (1936). Latter-day Saint biographical encyclopedia: A compilation of biographical sketches of prominent men and women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 4. Salt Lake City, Utah: The Andrew Jenson History Company (Printed by The Deseret News Press). p. 195.
- Gates, Susa Young (1911). History of the Young Ladies' Mutual Improvement Association of the Church of Jesus Christ of L.D.S., from November 1869 to June 1910: Jane S. Richards. General Board of Y.L.M.I.A. p. 56. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- Jane S. Richards at Find a Grave