Janne Haaland Matláry
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2013)|
Dame Janne Haaland Matláry (born 27 April 1957) is a Norwegian political scientist, writer, and politician, who formerly represented the Christian Democratic Party. Since 2012 she has been a member of the Conservative Party. She is Professor of international politics at the University of Oslo, and served as State Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 1997–2000.
Life and career
Janne Haaland grew up in Mandal, Norway and studied at the University of Oslo, attaining her doctorate in political science in 1994. She is a professor of international politics at Oslo University, specializing in energy policy, security policy, and international human rights. In the Bondevik government of 1997-2000 she served as state secretary for the Christian Democratic Party in the Department of Foreign Affairs.
She left the Christian Democratic Party in 2011, citing ideological reasons, particularly due to the party's willingness to consider a future alliance with the Labour party on the national level, and that the party had already formed alliances with Labour on the local level. She claimed the Christian democratic ideology was incompartible with the socialist ideology. In 2012 she became a member of the Conservative Party. She converted to Roman Catholicism while a student.
She is a member of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace and of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, and a consultor of the Pontifical Council for the Family. In 2001 she was made a Dame in the Sovereign Military Order of Malta.
- Political Factors in Western European Gas Trade (NUPI rapport). Norsk Utenrikspolitisk Institutt, Oslo 1985; ISBN B0006EOPL0
- Norway's New Interdependence with the European Community: The Political and Economic Implications of Gas Trade (NUPI rapport). Utenrikspolitisk Institutt, Oslo 1990; ISBN B0006EVW8E
- Energy Policy in the European Union. Palgrave Macmillan, 1997; ISBN 978-0-312-17295-4
- Intervention for Human Rights in Europe. Palgrave Macmillan, 2002; ISBN 978-0-333-79424-1
- Values and Weapons: From Humanitarian Intervention to Regime Change? Palgrave Macmillan, 2006; ISBN 978-1-4039-8716-7
- Faith through Reason. Gracewing Publishing, 2006; ISBN 978-0-85244-004-9, preface by Joseph Ratzinger.
- When Might Becomes Human Right. Gracewing, 2007; ISBN 978-0-85244-031-5
- European Union Security Dynamics: In the New National Interest. Palgrave Macmillan, 2009; ISBN 978-0-230-52188-9
- Staff page at Oslo University.
- Author page at Macmillan.
- Matlary's page at the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences
- "Norwegian Saga: The Conversion of Janne Haaland Matlary. New Book by a Former Foreign-Affairs Official", Zenit, 3 May 2004.
- "Nurturing a New Feminism", Zenit, 22 May 2001.
- "More Women Leaders Needed at the Vatican" by Carol Glatz, Catholic News Service, 15 Dec. 2008.