June 15, 1989 |
Pickering, ON, CAN
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||165 lb (75 kg; 11 st 11 lb)|
New Hampshire Wildcats
Boston University Terriers
Jennifer Wakefield (born June 15, 1989) is a member of the Canada women's national ice hockey team. She was a substitute for the women's team that participated in 2010 Winter Olympics and played on the gold-medal winning team at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Jennifer Wakefield won a gold medal with Team Ontario at the 2007 Canada Winter Games. She led the tournament in scoring with twenty points (twelve goals and eight assists). In a game versus Newfoundland at the Canada Winter Games (March 5, 2007), Wakefield was on a line with Mallory Deluce and Rebecca Johnston. The three combined for 12 points in a 19–0 victory. She won a silver medal at the Ontario Women’s Hockey Association provincial championships in 2006 with the Durham West Jr. Lightning of the PWHL. Wakefield played for Team Ontario Red at the 2005 National Women’s Under-18 Championship and was part of the gold medal winning team.
After being cut from the Olympic team in December 2009, Wakefield played for the Canadian Under 22 team that participated in the MLP Cup in 2010. She scored a goal in the Gold Medal win over Switzerland that was played on January 9, 2010. She played in the 2014 Winter Olympics for Canada.
University of New Hampshire
Her freshman year was in 2007–08. Wakefield finished second in New Hampshire scoring, but led all New Hampshire freshmen in scoring. She helped New Hampshire reach the NCAA Frozen Four. As a sophomore, Wakefield led New Hampshire in scoring. In addition, Wakefield led the Wildcats with 13 power play goals, four shorthanded goals and nine game-winning goals.
- In January 2010, it was announced that Wakefield will play for the Boston University Terriers women's ice hockey program.
- December 7 and 10: In wins over Northeastern and Harvard, Wakefield recorded four points (2g,2a) in wins over Northeastern and Harvard. On December 7, Wakefield had one goal and two assists as the Terriers defeated the Huskies by a 3–0 mark. She recorded 13 shots on goal in the two games.
- In December 2010, Wakefield recorded seven points in just three games. She was part of the Terriers earning back-to-back Hockey East shutouts with three points, including a power-play and game-winning goal, in a 4–0 win against the Connecticut Huskies. In a 3–0 triumph over Northeastern, Wakefield scored a goal (in which she launched a game-high 11 shots). In the month’s final game, Wakefield netted a goal and two assists as the Terriers defeated the Harvard Crimson for the first time in program history.
- On January 15 and 16, 2011, Wakefield recorded three goals and three assists in games against Boston College and Maine. In the win against Boston College, she had a four-point effort (2 goals, 2 assists) as she was part of all four points in a 4–0 win over the Eagles
- March 12, 2011: Wakefield scored two goals, including an empty net goal with twelve seconds left, as BU defeated Mercyhurst in the NCAA regional playoff.
- May 7, 2011: Wakefield was named captain of the Terriers for the 2011–12 season.
- November 2, 2011: In a 4–1 defeat of rival Boston College, Wakefield scored her 100th career goal. With the accomplishment, she became the first Hockey East women’s player to reach the 100 goal mark. Wakefield scored 59 goals in two seasons at New Hampshire (59 goals) before transferring to Boston University, where she netted 41 goals to reach the milestone.
|2007–08||New Hampshire Wildcats||33||27||19||46|
|2008–09||New Hampshire Wildcats||31||32||17||49|
|2010–11||Boston University Terriers||5||7||4||11|
|2011–12||Boston University Terriers|
Awards and honors
- 2008 Hockey East Rookie of the Year
- 2008 Hockey East First All-Star Team
- 2008 Hockey East All-Tournament Team
- 2008 Hockey East All-Academic Team
- Top-10 finalist for the 2009 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award
- Hockey East Player of the Month in December 2008
- Hockey East Player of the Month in April 2009
- Hockey East Pure Hockey Player of the Week (Week of October 4, 2010)
- Hockey East Pure Hockey Player of the Week (Week of December 13, 2010) 
- Hockey East Pure Hockey Player of the Month (December 2010)
- Hockey East Pure Hockey Player of the Week (Week of January 17, 2011)
- Hockey East Player of the Week (Week of October 3, 2011)
- 2011 Patty Kazmaier Award Nominee
- 2011 Hockey East All-Tournament team 
- 2011 New England Women's Division I All-Star selection
- Hockey East Player of the Month (Month of October 2011)
- Hockey East Player of the Week (Week of January 23, 2012)
- Hockey East Player of the Month (Month of January 2012)
- Hockey East Player of the Week (Week of February 27, 2012)
- Hockey East Scoring Champion (2011–12)
- Hockey East 10th Anniversary Team selection
- "Player Profile: Jennifer Wakefield". Hockey Canada. Retrieved April 28, 2010.
- "Player Profile". Hockey Canada. January 10, 2010. Retrieved April 28, 2010.
- Denise Smith (January 14, 2010). "Women's Weekly: January 14th, 2010". InsideHockey.com. Retrieved April 28, 2010.[dead link]
- "2009 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award Nominees Announced". ECAC Hockey. February 13, 2009. Retrieved April 28, 2010.