||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2013)|
Jim Bannon in trailer for Stagecoach Driver (1951)
|Born||James Shorttel Bannon
April 9, 1911
Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.
|Died||July 28, 1984
Ventura, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Bea Benaderet (1938–1950; divorced)
Barbara Cork (1961–1981; divorced)
James Shorttel "Jim" Bannon (April 9, 1911 – July 28, 1984) was an actor in radio and Hollywood western films during the 1940s and 1950s. He is best remembered as the fourth cinema Red Ryder from 1949 to 1950.
Bannon also appeared in numerous western television series, including Gene Autry's The Adventures of Champion, in twenty-six episodes in 1955 in the role of Sandy North, with child actor Barry Curtis (born 1943) as his nephew, Ricky North. He was cast twice on another Autry series, Annie Oakley, with Gail Davis. Late in 1956, Autry proposed a Flying A Productions television version of Red Ryder with Bannon in the starring role, but the project never materialized.
In 1957, Bannon portrayed Sheriff Tynes on the syndicated Casey Jones, with Alan Hale, Jr. He was further cast in the episode "Attack" of Richard Carlson's syndicated Mackenzie's Raiders, set at Fort Clark, Texas, and in the 1958 segment "A Very Deadly Game" of NBC's western series, Jefferson Drum, starring Jeff Richards as a western newspaperman. That same year he was cast as Nate in the episode "Miss Pringle" of the NBC children's western series, Buckskin and as Warden Lane in the episode "A Fish Story" of the NBC children's western series, Fury. Bannon appeared in three episodes of ABC's The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp.
- "Flying A to Film Ryder", The Billboard, November 3, 1956, p. 9
- Chuck Anderson. "Jim Bannon". b-westerns.com. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- I Love a Mystery (1945)
- Tonight and Every Night (1945)
- The Devil's Mask (1946)
- Johnny O'Clock (1947)
- The Corpse Came C.O.D. (1947)
- The Man from Colorado (1948)
- The Fighting Redhead (1949)
- Jiggs and Maggie Out West (1950)
- Sierra Passage (1951)
- Unknown World (1951)
- Ridin' the Outlaw Trail (1951)
- The Great Missouri Raid (1951)
- Nevada Badmen (1951)
- Wanted: Dead or Alive (1951)
- Rodeo (1952)
- Phantom from Space (1953)
- War Arrow (1953)
- Jim Bannon at the Internet Movie Database
- Jim Bannon at AllMovie
- Biography, surfnetinc.com; accessed September 29, 2014.