Rev. John A. Buehrens (born 1947) is a Unitarian Universalist minister and author, and served as the sixth president of the Unitarian Universalist Association from 1993 to 2001. Rev. Buehrens then served as minister of First Parish in Needham, Massachusetts, 2002-12. He is currently Senior Minister of the First Unitarian Universalist Society of San Francisco, California. Ordained in 1973, he subsequently served congregations in Tennessee, Texas, and New York City. He is a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Divinity School. He has been married since 1972 to the Rev. Gwen Langdoc Buehrens, a priest in the Episcopal Church.
Buehrens's published writings include the following:
- The uses of memory (Voices of liberal religion), Rising Press, 1992
- A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism, with Forrest Church, Beacon Press, 1998 (revised), ISBN 0-8070-1616-0 (hardcover), ISBN 0-8070-1617-9 (paperback)
- The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide, 3e, (editor), Skinner House Books, 1999, ISBN 1-55896-388-X
- Understanding the Bible: An Introduction for Skeptics, Seekers, and Religious Liberals, Beacon Press, 2003, ISBN 0-8070-1052-9 (hardcover), ISBN 0-8070-1053-7 (paperback)
- Universalists and Unitarians in America : a people's history, Skinner House, 2011, ISBN 978-1-55896-612-3
Rev. John Buehrens / UUSF