original film poster
|Directed by||Walter Hill|
|Produced by||Charles Roven|
|Screenplay by||Ken Friedman|
|Based on||The Three Worlds of Johnny Handsome
by John Godey
|Music by||Ry Cooder|
|Cinematography||Matthew F. Leonetti|
|Editing by||Donn Aron
Freeman A. Davies
The Guber-Peters Company
|Distributed by||Tri-Star Pictures|
|Release dates||September 29, 1989|
|Running time||94 min.|
Johnny Handsome is an 1989 American crime-drama film directed by Walter Hill and starring Mickey Rourke, Ellen Barkin and Morgan Freeman. The film was written by Ken Friedman, and adapted from the novel The Three Worlds of Johnny Handsome by John Godey. The music for the film was written, produced and performed by Ry Cooder, with four songs by Jim Keltner .
John Sedley is a man with a disfigured face, mocked by others as "Johnny Handsome." He and a friend are double-crossed by two accomplices in a crime, Sunny Boyd and her partner Rafe, and a judge sends Johnny to jail, where he vows to get even once he gets out.
A surgeon named Fisher is looking for a guinea pig so he can attempt an experimental procedure in cosmetic surgery. Johnny, figuring he has nothing to lose, is given a new, nearly unrecognizable face before he is released back into society.
Lt. Drones, a dour New Orleans law enforcement officer, is not fooled by Johnny's new look or new life, even when Johnny lands an honest job and begins seeing Donna McCarty, a respectable woman who knows little of his past. The lieutenant tells Johnny right to his changed face that, on the inside, Johnny is still a hardened criminal and always will be.
The cop is correct. Johnny cannot forget or forgive his sworn vengeance against Sunny and Rafe, joining them for another job, which ends violently for all.
- Mickey Rourke - John Sedley a.k.a. Johnny Handsome/Johnny Mitchell
- Ellen Barkin - Sunny Boyd
- Elizabeth McGovern - Donna McCarty
- Morgan Freeman - Lt. A.Z. Drones
- Forest Whitaker - Dr. Steven Fisher
- Lance Henriksen - Rafe Garrett
- Scott Wilson - Mikey Chalmette
- David Schramm - Vic Dumask
- Yvonne Bryceland - Sister Luke
- Peter Jason - Mr. Bonet
- J.W. Smith - Mr.Stathansom
- Jeffrey Meek - Earl (as Jeff Meek)
- Allan Graf - Bob Lemoyne
- Ed Zang - Prestige Manager
- John P. Fertitta - Prestige Salesman (as John Fertitta)
- Raynor Scheine - Gun Dealer
- Edward Walsh - Judge
The film was not a box office success.
Home Video Release
After the film's theatrical run, the film was released on videocassette and laserdisc in 1990 by International Video Entertainment. In 2002, the film was finally released on DVD, but without any bonus material and was shown in only a full frame presentation.
In 2010 the film was released on Blu-ray through Lions Gate Entertainment in its original widescreen presentation.
- Johnny Handsome:Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, Warner Bros. Records Inc. CD liner notes, 1989
- "Black Rain, 'Sea of Love' Tops at Box Office : WEEKEND BOX OFFICE". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- Johnny Handsome at the Internet Movie Database
- Johnny Handsome at allmovie
- Johnny Handsome at Box Office Mojo
- Johnny Handsome at Rotten Tomatoes
|This article about a crime drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|