Jonathan Klein (Getty Images)
||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (October 2013)|
Jonathan Klein is Co-Founder and Chairman of Getty Images, Inc., a global digital media company that is the premier creator and distributor of still imagery, video and music worldwide. He co-founded Getty Images with former Chairman Mark Getty in March 1995 and since then has led the company’s growth from an analog image collection with transparencies, laboratories and print catalogs, to an award-winning, multi-billion dollar, global digital business.
Under Klein’s direction, Getty Images has acquired and integrated more than 100 image collections and companies worldwide, including PhotoDisc and iStockphoto. The company also launched news, sports and entertainment coverage, and has grown to include video, music, digital asset management, rights services and assignment photography.
Fast Company recognized Klein in its “Fast 50” as a business leader who “will change the way we work and live” and he was named number one on American Photo’s list of the “100 Most Important People in Photography.” He received the Suffolk University Sawyer Business School’s 2012 award for Global Leadership in Innovation and Collaboration, as well as the Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria’s Business Excellence for Innovation award.
Under Klein’s stewardship, Getty Images received the first International Center of Photography Trustees Award, for the company’s “commitment to the field of photography, through technology and philanthropy, and dedication to the power of photography to create change.”
Klein is a leader in the fields of international press freedom and global health. He serves on the boards of directors of the Committee to Protect Journalists and Grassroot Soccer and is chairman of Friends of the Global Fight Against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. He is a member of the corporate advisory board of GBCHealth and serves on the boards of directors of the Groton School, Etsy, Getty Images, Getty Investments and Squarespace.
- "Getty's Pics: Worth 1,000 Words—and $3.3 Billion". Bloomberg Businessweek.
- "Getty Images Wants to be the Amazon of Digital Content". Forbes.
- "Getty Images Officers: Jonathan Klein".
- "Getty Images and Their Meteoric Rise". MacTribe.
- "iStockphoto CEO On Getty Images Acquisition: Exclusive Interview On One Year Anniversary". ZDNet.
- "About Getty Images".
- "The 5th Annual Fast 5". Fast Company.
- "American Photo Top 100". American Photo.
- "Business School Honors CEO of Getty Images".
- "Friends of the Global Fight Against Aids, Tuberculosis and Malaria: Board of Directors".
- "International Center of Photography: Infinity Awards 1996-2006".
- "Committee to Protect Journalists: Media Leaders Join CPJ Board of Directors".
- "Grassroot Soccer: Global Board of Directors".
- "Friends of the Global Fight: Edward W. Scott Jr. Steps Down, Jonathan Klein Named Interim Chair".
- "Groton School: Board of Trustees".
- "Etsy: Board of Directors".
- "Jonathan Klein". The Huffington Post.
- "GBCHealth: Corporate Advisory Board".
- "Squarespace: Board of Directors".
- "Jonathan Klein: Under Getty’s Images: Brand Values and Leadership Principles". Ethix.