Jonesboro High School (Georgia)
|Jonesboro High School|
|7728 Mt. Zion Boulevard
Jonesboro, Georgia, 30236
|School district||Clayton County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Black|
Jonesboro High School is a four-year public high school located in Jonesboro, Georgia, United States. The school is part of the Clayton County School District and is located at 7728 Mt. Zion Boulevard in Jonesboro, Georgia.
The school's teams are known as the Cardinals and the school colors are red white and black. U.S. News & World Report selected Jonesboro as one of the top 100 schools in the United States in its December 1998 issue and it has produced several notable alumni.
Established as a public high school on September 21, 1891, Jonesboro High School was originally on College Street in Jonesboro. The school was moved to Spring Street during the Christmas break of 1917 and moved again to its present location on the corner of Mt. Zion Boulevard in the fall of 1963.
The library originally started out in what is now the ROTC room and was moved into its own building in 1968. In 1975 the vocational building was completed giving JHS the chance to expand it faculty to include assistant principals, counselors, and vocational teachers. A technology lab was added in the 1994-95 school year.
Jonesboro High School underwent construction starting the 2006-2007 school year for a addition of a freshman wing. The wing was complete for use the 2007-2008 school year opening in February 2008. This new addition cost the county a total of $4,025,593 . The school is getting an auxiliary gymnasium. The work begin on June 15, 2010 and the date of opening is unknown at the current time . The addition of this new building is costing the county an estimated $2,250,000.
Awards and recognition
- Toney Douglas, NBA point guard.
- Harry Douglas, University of Louisville wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons.
- Steve Lundquist, swimmer who won two Olympic Gold medals at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California. (1979)
- Jason Perry, MLB outfielder.
- Scott Allison Woerner (1977)
- Jonesboro High School website
- "History". Jonesboro High School website. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Your Tax Dollars at Work". SPLOST. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- Participant History & Past National Winners, National High School Mock Trial Championship. Accessed July 1, 2007.
- Jason Perry