José Matías Delgado University
|Dr. José Matías Delgado University (Universidad "Dr. José Matías Delgado")|
|Motto||Omnia Cum Honore|
|Established||September 15, 1977|
|Rector||Dr. David Escobar Galindo|
|Academic staff||approximately 600 professors|
|Location||Antiguo Cuscatlán, El Salvador|
Founded on September 15, 1977 and named in honor of the famous Salvadoran priest and politician José Matías Delgado, the University is one of the private educational institutions in El Salvador. It was conceived as a nonprofit institution with the objective of forming professionals with the capacity of improving and directing the business and judicial institutions of the time. Its intent from its foundation has been to defend and develop free-enterprise principles.
The University began with three faculties: the Dr. Isidro Menéndez Faculty of Jurisprudence and Social Sciences; the Francisco Gavidia Faculty of General Culture and Fine Arts; and the Dr. Santiago I. Barberena Faculty of Economics. It was geographically decentralized during its early years, but was brought together in a single location (the current campus, now known as "Campus I", at Antiguo Cuscatlán) in 1986. In 2004 "Campus II" was opened in Ciudad Merliot.
Presently the University offers 18 degrees, five masters programs, and a variety of diplomas and has a faculty of more than 590 professors.
The University has a reputation for offering a high quality education without neglecting the principles of professional ethics. This is expressed in the motto Omnia Cum Honore (Everything With Honor).
The current rector is the well-known dramatist and doctor of science, Dr. David Escobar Galindo.
The University currently has two campuses, with the following faculties and schools:
- Faculty of Economics "Dr. Santiago I. Barberena"
- Faculty of General Culture and Fine Arts "Francisco Gavidia"
- Faculty of Jurisprudence and Social Sciences "Dr. Isidro Menéndez"
- Faculty of Health Sciences "Dr. Luis Edmundo Vásquez"
- Faculty of Agriculture and Agricultural Research "Julia Hill de O'Sullivan"
- Faculty of Engineering
- School of Architecture
- School of Design "Rosemarie Vázquez de Ángel"
- School of Communications
- School of Psychology
The Hugo Lindo Library of the University has a large quantity of print and digital resources, including bibliographic materials dating from the end of the nineteenth century. There are also classrooms, virtual laboratories, workshops for technical and artisan practice, sports fields, computing centers, medical clinics and psychological assistance, and laboratories for chemistry, medicine and agricultural research.
Dr. José Matías Delgado University allows students to qualify for the following professions:
- Interior Architecture
- Agroindustrial Engineering
- Food Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Electronics and Communications Engineering
- License in Communications Science
- License in Design of Artisan Products
- License in Business Administration
- License in Interior Architecture
- License in Judicial Sciences
- License in Public Accounting
- License in Graphic Design
- License in Business Economics
- License in Business Finance
- License in Information Management
- License in Marketing
- License in Psychology
- License in Tourism
Fluency in English is required for graduation.
Postgraduate studies at Dr. José Matías Delgado University are:
- Master in International Business
- Master in Business Administration
- Master in Business Finance
- Master in Project Management
- Master in Organizational Communication
- Master in Human Resources Strategic Direction
- Master in Clinical Psychology
- Master in Judicial Studies
- Doctorate in Private Law
Among the specialized diplomas issued by the University are the following:
- Diploma in Customs Administration
- Diploma in Tax Administration
- Diploma in Governmental Auditing
- Diploma in Municipal Administration
- Diploma in Agrobusiness
- Diploma in Agro-Ecotourism
- Diploma in Organic Agriculture
- Diploma in Microbiology of Foods
- Diploma in Environmental Management
- Diploma in Organizational Communication
- Diploma in Economic and Financial Journalism
- Diploma in Political and Electoral Journalism
- Diploma in Advanced Writing for Communications Media
The University, as one of the best universities in Central America, offers students participation in theater groups, musical choirs, social volunteer projects and sports such as chess, soccer, track and field, swimming, basketball, volleyball and taekwondo.
Among the University's illustrious professors are the following:
- Licenciado Matías Romero Coto, Salvadoran writer
- Licenciado Francisco Flores Pérez, former president of the Republic of El Salvador
- Doctor Carlos Quintanilla Schmidt, former vice-president of the Republic of El Salvador
- Licenciada Carmen González Huguet, Salvadoran writer
The University throughout its history has recognized excellence in the service of the Salvadoran community with the following awards.
Honorary doctorates conferred by the University
- Dr. Guillermo Trigueros hijo
- Don Luis Escalante Arce
- Dr. Alfonso Rochac
- Prof. Jorge Lardé y Larín
- Doña Mercedes de Altamirano
- Doña Didine Poma de Rossotto
- Doña María de Boet
- Lic. Cecilia Gallardo de Cano
- Dr. Armando Calderón Sol
- Señora Felicidad Salazar-Simpson
- Dr. Adolfo Oscar Miranda
- Dr. Manuel Arrieta Gallegos
- Dr. Dick
Meritorious national pictorial art
- Prof. Julia Díaz
This article is a free translation of the Spanish Wikipedia article, accessed March 28, 2007 and available here.