Jukebox the Ghost
|Jukebox the Ghost|
Members (left to right) Tommy Siegel, Ben Thornewill and Jesse Kristin on the set of their music video for Somebody.
|Years active||2003 – present|
Jukebox the Ghost is a D.C. Metro-Area three-piece Indie-pop band. The band consists of Ben Thornewill (vocals & piano), Tommy Siegel (vocals & guitar) and Jesse Kristin (drums). The band has been active since 2006.
Afterwards, they ended up writing a lot of different stuff that was unique to them. After they thought they had enough material, they built up a new image and band, and named it "Jukebox the Ghost". They derived the name from the lyrics of a Captain Beefheart song.
In 2008, they released their first album "Let Live & Let Ghosts".
After touring with Ben Folds in early April 2009, they cobbled the money together to get to the UK and opened for a band named Nightmare of You. They initially started headlining by playing with musician Jenny Owen Youngs in the United States on April 30 in Chicago, IL. This lasted into June, at which point they temporarily stopped playing shows so that they could write new material and concentrate on their next album, "Everything Under the Sun." The band began recording for the new album on September 29, 2009 at Tarquin Studios in Bridgeport, Connecticut, which is an indie recording studio that specializes in analogue recording for flavor purposes, but mostly uses digital recording due to consistency purposes and for the purposes of added digital effect.
In February 2010, Jukebox the Ghost played music in Europe with Adam Green of The Moldy Peaches. This was followed by more headlining in the United States with the bands Tally Hall and Skybox. They took another break and started playing live shows once again in late May 2010 with the band Free Energy, and once headlined as a minor band at Lollapalooza in Chicago.
September 1, 2010 marked a major milestone for the band, as they appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman.
Jukebox the Ghost opened for Barenaked Ladies during the fall of 2010 from October through November, and were a featured band on the Barenaked Ladies-hosted Sixthman cruise, Ships & Dip 4, in February 2011.
"JTG" also was a featured band on another Sixthman Cruise "Rombello" in September 2011.
The band opened for Jack's Mannequin starting January 19, 2012
On June 12, 2012, Jukebox the Ghost released their third album, Safe Travels. The album marked a departure from their sci-fi narratives in favor of more personal lyrics. In an interview with Jukebox the Ghost, Ben Thornewill stated that "this record has a lot of songs that are directly from our own life experience. Whether they are journalistically accurate or not, probably not, but they come from something in our lives, not something we’re imagining.”
- Ben Toenail - vocals, keyboard (2003–present)
- Tommy Seagull - vocals, guitar (2003–present)
- Jesse Krispy - drums, percussion (2003–present)
Song Usage In Other Media
- [Let Live and Let Ghosts] (2008)
- [Everything Under the Sun] (2010)
- [Safe Travels] (2012)
- [Jukebox the Ghost and Jenny Owen Youngs] (2009)
- [I Love You Always Forever] (2012)
Everything Under the Sun
Jukebox the Ghost's second album was released on September 7, 2010. 'Empire' the first single, was released on June 1, 2010.
|The A.V. Club||(A-) |
|The Washington Post||(mixed) |
|Everything Under the Sun |
|7.||"So Let Us Create"||Thornewill||3:50|
|9.||"The Sun (Interlude)"||N/A||1:02|
|11.||"The Popular Thing"||Thornewill||3:43|
Jukebox the Ghost's third album was released on June 12, 2012. The album was released digitally on June 5, 2012. 'Somebody', the first single, was aired on NPR on April 9, 2012, and officially released on April 17, 2012. The second single from the album, 'Oh, Emily', was released April 13, 2012 on the band's website. The album has a wide variety of instruments used on it such as accordion, bass guitar, congas and a volunteer orchestra.
|Safe Travels |
|5.||"Don't Let Me Fall Behind"||Thornewill||3:50|
|8.||"Ghosts In Empty Houses"||Siegel||3:58|
|9.||"Devils On Our Side"||Thornewill||2:27|
|10.||"All For Love"||Thornewill||3:33|
|11.||"Man In The Moon"||Siegel||1:58|
|14.||"A La La (Bonus Track)"||Thornewill||3:18|
I Love You Always Forever
Jukebox the Ghost also released a cover LP on April 21, 2012, titled "I Love You Always Forever", after the first track on the disk - their cover of Donna Lewis' “I Love You Always Forever”. They also included their version of New Order‘s “Temptation”.
|I Love You Always Forever|
|1.||"I Love You Always Forever"||Thornewill||3:54|
Jukebox The Ghost
- Ben Thornewill - vocals, keyboard
- Tommy Siegel - vocals, guitar, bass (Only on Safe Travels)
- Jesse Kristin - drums, percussion
Additional Musicians (Only on Safe Travels)
- Jonathan Dinklage - violin & viola
- Dave Eggar - cello
- Seth Faulk - conga
- Dan Romer - additional stuff
- Natural Selections: Jukebox the Ghost
- Jukebox the Ghost Interview with BYT.com
- Matthew Solarski (19 November 2008). "My Brightest Diamond, Frightened Rabbit Do Covers". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- Chris Rutledge (11 June 2012). "Jukebox The Ghost Gets Introspective With Safe Travels". American Songwriter. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- Deming, Mark. "Everything Under the Sun - Jukebox the Ghost". Retrieved October 2, 2010.
- Mincher, Chris (September 7, 2010). "Jukebox The Ghost: Everything Under The Sun". Retrieved October 2, 2010.
- Young, Jon (August 27, 2010). "Jukebox the Ghost, 'Everything Under the Sun'". Retrieved October 19, 2010.
- Foster, Patrick (September 7, 2010). "Album review: Jukebox the Ghost, "Everything Under the Sun"". The Washington Post. Retrieved October 2, 2010.
- Hepfinger, Billy (June 22, 2012). "Safe Travels - Jukebox the Ghost". Retrieved June 27, 2012.