|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
|This article is outdated. (February 2014)|
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, USA|
|Genres||Indie rock, synthpop, new wave|
|Years active||2003 - present|
|Associated acts||Kishi Bashi, Of Montreal|
Pat "Panda" Dougherty
|Past members||Mark Guiliana
Jupiter One is an American indie rock band from Brooklyn, New York, formed in 2003. Inspired by a wide range of influences, they create upbeat indie pop songs, with a grounding in futuristic-sounding new wave-style synth sounds. Their self-titled and self-released debut album was distributed by Cordless Recordings in 2007, following another release of the album in 2008 under the Cordless Recordings label. The album Sunshower followed in 2009.
K Ishibashi and Zac Colwell are the founding members of the group. Other members are K's wife Mocha, a Japanese-born keyboardist and violinist, drummer Dave Heilman, and bassist Pat "Panda" Dougherty. K also performs in of Montreal, Regina Spektor's touring band, and a solo project, Kishi Bashi.
Ishibashi and Colwell first met while travelling musicians in the orchestra of Barnum's Kaleidoscape. After the circus tour ended they spent time in Zac's hometown of Austin before moving to New York in 2003, where Jupiter One would officially form. In New York, Ishibashi re-connected with then-girlfriend Mocha, a Japanese-born keyboardist and fellow violinist who also joined the group. Drummer Dave Heilman and bassist Pat "Panda" Dougherty later joined the band.
Releases and performances
Many of their tracks have been used in Electronic Arts video games. "Countdown" has been featured in Madden NFL 08, while "Turn Up the Radio" featured in NHL 08, "Fire Away" featured in Burnout Paradise, and "Unglued" featured in FIFA 08. The track "Platform Moon" was used in a commercial for Mazda cars outside of the US and in FIFA 09.
In 2008 their track "Countdown" was played during the pre-episode of Heroes Season 3 on NBC, and Kyle XY season 2 on ABC. It was also featured in commercials for Payless and MLB Network.
Third Studio Album and Side Projects
The band has been working on many separate projects since the release of Sunshower. In late 2011, the band got together to talk about some new ideas for their third studio album. Though many good ideas were thrown around, other current projects would halt any work on this album until late 2012. K Ishibashi started a solo project knowns as Kishi Bashi. He has put out a solo EP called "Room For Dream" in mid-2011 and then in 2012, released his first LP called 151a on the Joyful Noise label. Dave, Zac and Panda also have a side project called Fancy Colors. They released an album called Near Equator in September 2012.
- Jupiter One EP (2005)
- Magical Mountain and the Floating Hospital (Limited edition self-release) (2006)
- Jupiter One (2007) (Limited edition self-release)
- Jupiter One (2008)
- The Remix EP (2008)
- Sunshower (2009)
- "Countdown"/"Wrong Line"/"Turn Up the Radio" (promo single) (2006)
- "Flaming Arrow" (2009)
- K Ishibashi – vocals, guitar, keyboards, violin
- Zac Colwell – vocals, guitar, keyboards, flute
- Mocha – vocals, keyboards, violin
- David Heilman – drums
- Pat "Panda" Dougherty - bass
- Mark Guiliana – drums
- Neal Persiani – bass
- Ben Wright – bass
- Jupiter One - Sunshower
- "Jupiter One Bio". Retrieved 2009-04-15.
- Collar, Matt. "Jupiter One Biography", allmusic.com, Macrovision Corporation. Retrieved on 2009-06-16.
- "The Official Madden NFL 08 Soundtrack". Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "NHL 08 Soundtrack Review". Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "Burnout Paradise Soundtrack Revealed". Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "FIFA 08 Soundtrack Announced". Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "EA's FIFA 09 Soundtrack Features Wales' Own Tom Jones". Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "Jupiter One: Our Heroes In Heroes". Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- "Season 2 Music: Complete listings". Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- "Payless commercials". Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- "Who ever said Jupiter One wasn't athletic???!". Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Regina Spektor Taps Jupiter One To Open Upcoming Tour". Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- "Gig review: Regina Spektor in Wellington". Stuff.co.nz. 4 May 2010. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jupiter One.|