||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
Jerusalem, Mandate Palestine
|Known for||Painting, Art History|
|Notable work(s)||Palestinian Art: From 1850 to the Present|
Kamal Boullata is a Palestinian artist and art historian. His works are primarily done in acrylic and abstract in style focusing on the ideas of division in Palestinian identity, separation from homeland through utilization geometric forms as well as integration of Arabic words and calligraphy.
Kamal Boullata was born in Jerusalem in 1942. He studied at the Fine Arts Academy in Rome and at the Corcoran Gallery School of Art in Washington, D.C. In 1993 and 1994 Kamal was awarded Fulbright Senior Scholarships to conduct research on Islamic art in Morocco. Kamal, whose work has been exhibited throughout Europe, the United States and the Middle East, lives and works in Menton in Southern France.
Boullata works mainly in silk screen. His compositions are based on the angular Kufi script, which he uses as a representational form of art. In a review of his work, Moroccan art critic Abdelkebir Khatibi wrote: “Elaborated with remarkable continuity and patience, Boullata's work is that of a surveyor, an artist of proportion and measurement. Behind this passion for geometry lies the tradition of icon-painting, which forged the beginnings of his artistic training, a tradition that has maintained a venerable continuity between Byzantium and the Arabo-Islamic civilization of the Middle East.” 
Boullata recalls sitting for hours on end as a small boy in front of the Dome of the Rock, engrossed in sketching its innumerable and unfathomable geometric patterns and calligraphic engravings. Those patterns he saw as a child still echo endlessly throughout his adult work. In an interview he recalled "I keep reminding my self that Jerusalem is not behind me, it is constantly ahead of me." 
Public collections holding his art
- Arab American National Museum, Dearborn, Michigan
- British Museum, London
- Institut du Monde Arab, Paris
- Jordan National Gallery
- The Khalid Shoman Foundation
- Sharjah Art Museum
- Sarjah and the Bibliotheque Louis Notari, Monoco
- Between Exits: Paintings by Hani Zurob Black Dog Publishing London 2012 (in English)
- Palestinian Art: From 1850 to the Present, Saqi Press, 2009, London (in English)
- Belonging and Globalisation: Critical Essays in Contemporary Art and Culture, Saqi Press 2008, London. (in English)
- Recovery of Place: A Study of Contemporary Palestinian Art (in Arabic)
- The Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin. "Kamal Boullata". Wissenschaftskolleg. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- Khalil Sakatini Cultural Center http://www.sakakini.org/visualarts/boullata.htm
- Darat al Funun Foundation, http://www.daratalfunun.org/main/resourc/exhibit/bollata/bollata.html