||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2015)|
|Secretary of the Commonwealth of Virginia|
March 20, 2006 – January 16, 2010
|Preceded by||Anita Rimler|
|Succeeded by||Janet Kelly|
|Chair of the Fairfax County
Board of Supervisors
February 8, 1995 – December 15, 2003
|Preceded by||Tom Davis|
|Succeeded by||Gerry Connolly|
|Member of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors from the Providence district|
July 1986 – February 8, 1995
|Preceded by||James M. Scott|
|Succeeded by||Gerry Connolly|
March 5, 1943 |
Columbia, Missouri, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Edward John Hanley|
|Alma mater||University of Missouri
Katherine Keith Hanley (born March 5, 1943) is an American Democratic politician in Virginia. She served as Secretary of the Commonwealth of Virginia from 2006 to 2010, having been appointed to that post by Governor Tim Kaine following the rejection of his first nominee, state AFL-CIO President Daniel G. LeBlanc by the Virginia General Assembly.
She previously served as Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors from 1995 to 2003, as a county Supervisor for the Providence District from 1986 to 1995, and on the Fairfax County School Board. She is said to have contemplated running for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia in 2001, but deferred to then-Richmond Mayor Tim Kaine. In 2003, she did not seek reelection to the Board of Supervisors, and instead mounted a primary challenge against Jim Moran for Virginia's 8th congressional district; she abandoned that campaign in December for family reasons. In July, 2004 Governor Mark Warner appointed her to the Commonwealth Transportation Board. Following Kaine's election as Governor in November, 2005, she was rumored to be a possible contender for Virginia Secretary of Transportation, but was passed over in favor of incumbent Secretary Pierce Homer.
Kate Hanley is the daughter of Everett E. and Anna Catherine (Blanchard) Keith. She married Edward John Hanley August 6, 1966. They have two adult children including their daughter, Cecelia Anne Hanley, and their son Patrick Keith. In March, 2008, Patrick Hanley was wounded while serving in the U.S. Army in Iraq.
She resides in Reston, Virginia.
- M.A.T. in Social Science, 1966, Harvard University
- B.A., 1965, French Civilization, University of Missouri (Phi Beta Kappa)
- B.S., Secondary Education, University of Missouri
- 1961, David H. Hickman High School, Columbia, Missouri
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (January 2015)|
- Teacher and Guidance Counselor, Falls Church City Public Schools
- Owner, operator, Manor Home Center, Mountain Lake Park, Maryland, 1976–79
- Owner/Operator, hardware store
- Counselor, University of Missouri
- "Katherine Keith Hanley." Marquis Who's Who TM. Marquis Who's Who, 2007. Reproduced in Biography Resource Center. Farmington Hills, Mich.: Thomson Gale. 2007, Document Number: K2014561149, accessed 2007-11-26
- "Katherine K Hanley." Carroll's County Directory. Carroll Publishing, 2006. Reproduced in Biography Resource Center. Farmington Hills, Mich.: Thomson Gale. 2007, Document Number: K2417000993, accessed 2007-11-26
- MINUTES OF MEETING OF THE COMMONWEALTH TRANSPORTATION BOARD July 15, 2004, PDF format, date July 15, 2004, accessed 2007-11-26
- FEC Disclosure Report Search Results, Kate Hanley for Congress (VA-8), Candidate H4VA08083, accessed 2007-11-26, shows a great many individual contributions refunded 2003-12-30 and transfers to other Democrat candidates as late as 2004-09-29
- "Kaine Plans to Draw on Fairfax for Key Adviser" (Washington Post article), accessed 2007-11-26
- Hall, Thomas C. "Relocation ... or class reunion?." Washington Business Journal 18.36 (Jan 7, 2000): 2. General OneFile. Gale. Fairfax County Public Library. 26 Nov. 2007, Gale Document Number:A59482944, accessed 2007-11-26
- Vadum, Matthew. "VIRGINIA: CTB Appointments." The Bond Buyer 349.31921 (July 8, 2004): 31. General OneFile. Gale. Fairfax County Public Library. 26 Nov. 2007 Gale Document Number:A119043629, accessed 2007-11-27
- Code of Virginia 15.2-503, accessed 2007-11-28
- Archived Web Site of the Secretary of the Commonwealth, 2006-2010 part of Governor Timothy Kaine Administration Collection, 2006-2010 at Virginia Memory