Kelly L. Close (born December 1967) is an American writer, speaker, and advocate for people with diabetes.
Close was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 18. She received a BA in English and Economics from Amherst College in 1990 and an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1995. She began her career as an analyst at Goldman Sachs and later served as a management consultant at McKinsey & Company. In 2002, she founded Close Concerns in San Francisco, CA. That year, the company launched a monthly electronic diabetes business newsletter called Diabetes Close Up, a publication that covers 40 conferences per year in 10 countries, and tracks over 100 companies in diabetes and obesity. In 2006 the company launched a newsletter for diabetes patients called diaTribe. To date, she remains the Editor-in-Chief of both newsletters. She has also contributed to About.com’s diabetes site.
Kelly was recognized in 2012 by the American Diabetes Association with the Excellence in Health Communications award. She is on the board of directors of Diabetes Hands Foundation and Behavioral Diabetes Institute and was previously on the Executive Board of the SF Bay Area JDRF. In 2013, financial industry newsletter Seeking Alpha recognized Close as "an expert on the diabetes and obesity markets, and as a frequent speaker on the public health implications of these conditions[.]" and ShareCare named her as one of the "Top 10 Online Influencers" in regards to diabetes. Kelly is often quoted by mainstream media, including The Wall Street Journal and NBC. She is a member of the Healthcare Council of GLG Research.
- "About Kelly Close". dLife. March 27, 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013. "Kelly is Editor-in-Chief of diaTribe, an electronic newsletter that focuses on products and research, and helps people learn about new ways to manage diabetes better... Kelly is also Editor-in-Chief of Diabetes Close Up, a newsletter focused on the business of diabetes."]
- LifeWire Writers
- "2012 National Service Achievement Awards". ADA web site. American Diabetes Association. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "About BDI: BDI Board of Directors".
- "Kelly Close: State Of Diabetes Treatment, Companies In The Sector And Challenges Patients Face". Seeking Alpha. September 24, 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Making a Difference in the World of Diabetes". ShareCare web site. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Ms. Kelly Close". GLG Research web site. Retrieved 19 October 2013.