||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (January 2010)|
August 29, 1976 |
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
|Education||Culinary Institute of America|
|Cooking style||American cuisine|
Kelly Liken is an American chef and restaurant owner. She has appeared as a contestant on the television shows Top Chef, and Iron Chef America.
Liken was born in Pittsburgh, PA and she currently lives in Vail, Colorado. She attended the Culinary Institute of America where she graduated first in her class. She married Rick Colomitz in 2004.
Liken was an intern at the Inn at Little Washington in Washington, Virginia. She moved to Colorado in 2002 and began to work in the kitchen at Splendido at the Chateau in Beaver Creek, Colorado where she met her future husband, Rick Colomitz. In 2004, she opened Restaurant Kelly Liken in Vail and later that year, she married Colomitz. Her husband is general manager and wine director at her restaurant.
She visited the White House in Washington DC on 19 April 2011 two months after First Lady Michelle Obama visited her restaurant for dinner with her daughters. She has appeared on television on the Bravo Network's Top Chef D.C, on the Food Network's Iron Chef America, and on the CBS Morning Show
Kelly is one of the founders of the Sowing Seeds Program (Part of the Vail Valley Youth Foundation). Sowing Seeds focuses on the scientific aspect of teaching children about how foods grow, as well as the accompanying nutritional message of eating healthy. This program involves a greenhouse project at Brush Creek Elementary School where students plant and care for their own gardens.
Kelly and her namesake restaurant are supporters of the Vail Jazz Foundation; hosting events throughout the year in conjunction with the foundation.
- Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. 2005-2012
- AAA 4-Diamond Award, Restaurant Kelly Liken. 2006-2012
- James Beard Award Semi-Finalist; Best Chef Southwest. 2009, 2010, 2011
- Winner Wine Spectator Taste of Vail Bar Chef Mix-Off. 2007, 2008
- Taste of Vail Lamb Cook-Off Winner. 2010, 2011
- Kelly Liken Bravo TV
- Kelly Liken kellyliken.com
- First lady hits the slopes Vail Daily, 2011-02-20.
- Vail's Liken leads local group to White House Vail Daily 2011-04-15
- Rising Chef's Southern Cuisine CBS News, 2011-02-20.
- Sowing Seeds Program Vail Valley Foundation Website
- Vail Jazz Festival Vail Jazz Foundation