Korea International School Jeju
|Korea International School Jeju|
|Motto||A Journey towards Holistic Education|
|Type||Public International Day/Boarding (American Curriculum)|
|Gender||Male & Female|
|President||Dr. Sun Shik Min|
|Principal||Kristine Jerabek High School, David Swanson, Middle School|
|Asst. Principal||Byron Prugh, Elementary|
|Headmaster||Dr. Jeffrey Pratt-Beedy - Founding (2010-2012)|
|Dean||Amos Stamp-Jerabek, Dean of Students, Head of Student Services|
|Faculty||70 Foreign Hire (2012)|
|Students||417 (sy: 2012-13)|
Gueok-Ri, Daejong-Eup, Seogwipo-Si, Jeju-do, South Korea
|Newspaper||The Islander Times|
Korea International School Jeju (KIS Jeju) is South Korea's first Public International Boarding and Day school offering an American Curriculum located on Jeju-do in the Republic of South Korea. KIS Jeju is an affiliate organization of YBM based in Seoul, Korea who also founded the Korea International School Pangyo and Gaepo Campuses. Founded in 2011 as part of the "Global Education City" on Jeju-do the school is currently (Sept. 2012) grades 1-10 adding a grade level each year until reaching grade 12. This is the first school of its kind in South Korea. Students do not have to meet the traditional qualification of carrying a Foreign Passport or have studied abroad for three or more years to enroll.
== KIS Jeju follows a United States based curriculum that is student-centered, Standards-Based, and globally minded. The school will conform to academic standards guided by Project AERO  and accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The faculty (45 foreign hire as of Oct 2011) are certified by accredited teaching programs from around the globe and many carry advanced degrees in their subject area. Core components of the academic program at KIS Jeju are the comprehensive Advisory and Service Learning/Leading programs. Middle and High School students are offered the opportunity to participate in the Model United Nations, Odyssey of the mind, and FIRST Lego League Robotics programs. It is anticipated that the High School academic program will offer Advanced Placement (AP) Courses.
KIS Jeju has a 1 to 1 Macbook learning environment from grades 5-12, with grades 1-4 supported by iPads and an iMac Computer Lab. Classrooms are equipped with current Interactive Whiteboard (IWB) or Smart Board technologies supporting the learning environment. Students in the Elementary School receive specific pull-out classes in computing as well as an integrated 1 to 1 program in the fifth grade with essential skills being taught at a carefully managed pace. Students in the Middle and High School receive direct computing instruction in grade 6 with elective options such as Photography, Yearbook, Journalism, Graphic Design, and Robotics for grades 7-12.
Sports and Activities
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)|
KIS Jeju is located on Jeju Island situated approximately 25 km South-West from the Jeju Airport in the area of Daejong-Eup. The campus while located within the "Global Education City" is in a primarily agricultural area of the island. Neighboring communities are centered around farming and orange tree groves. The area however, is rapidly developing with the addition of the "Global Education City". In 2012 a public bus route was established to the Global Education City from the main city of Jeju-Si.
Phase 1 of KIS Jeju was completed in September 2011 and comprised an Elementary School Building (grades 1-5), a Middle School Building (grades 6-8), a Multi-Purpose Building (cafeteria, swimming pool, gymnasium, auditorium), and three Dormitory Buildings. Additionally there are outside facilities composed of a mid-sized turf athletics field, tennis courts, basketball court and a children's playground. Grades 9 and 10 are anticipated to be operated at these facilities while phase 2 of KIS Jeju is completed.
Phase 2 of KIS Jeju will commence in early 2013 and will consist of High School Academic, Dormitory, Multi-Purpose and Athletic facilities.
- Author Unknown, "Dormitory 1 to 8 study and life management ... learn scuba diving and horseback riding.", Joongang Daily, August 22, 2012
- Yi Seung Rok, "Ministry of Education, Science and Technology fully supports the first public international school in Korea.", Jeju Sori, October 13, 2011
- Yi Seung Rok, "KIS Jeju, The First Public International School is Established ", Jeju Sori, October 13, 2011
- Hong Seong Bae, "Korea's First Public International School Doors Open", The Jeju News, October 13, 2011
- Kim Ki Nam, "Education in the domestic foreign 'expression' ... studying alternative", Han Kyung Business, November 23, 2011
- Park Jong Hyun, "Junior Recruiting Today from Korea International School", Joongang Daily, June 1, 2011
- Kim, Angela, "Teaching and Child Development Ingredients for Success", The Jeju Weekly, October 28, 2011
- Go Byoun Su, "Korea International School in Jeju campus, volunteer activities in the region", News 1 Korea, March 28, 2012
- Kim Yeong Hun, "Korea International School Facilities Win Nationwide Grand Prize Award ", Media Jeju, December 21, 2011