Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital
|Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital|
|Ministry of Health|
|Location||Accra, Accra Metropolis District, Greater Accra Region, Ghana|
|Care system||Public - Ghana Health Service|
|Affiliated university||University of Ghana Medical School|
|Founded||9 October 1923|
|Lists||Hospitals in Ghana|
The Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital is the premier health care facility in Ghana. It is the only tertiary hospital in the southern part of Ghana. It is a teaching hospital affiliated with the medical school of the University of Ghana. Three centres of excellence, the National Cardiothoracic Centre, the National Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the Radiotherapy Centre are all in it.
In 2007, funded by the World Bank and the Ministry of Health, Ghana, the standby power system to Korle-Bu was replaced after three years with no central backup supply. The expanded system of 3mVA provides power to the entire Korle-Bu Hospital and was opened by the Minister of Health, Major Courage Quashigah (retd) and G Asiedu of G&J Technical Services on 6 June 2007. Prof. Nii Otu Nartey is the CEO of the hospital.
The hospital has a very large campus and has expanded to host a number of institutions. The list includes the following:
- University of Ghana Medical School
- University of Ghana Dental School
- University of Ghana School of Allied Health Sciences
- Nurses Training College
- Midwifery Training School
- Ghana Medical Association
- Ghana Association of Biomedical Laboratory Scientists
- School of Hygiene(zoomlion)
- School of Radiology
- school of Peri-operative and critical care nursing
- Ophthalmic Nursing school
Centres of Excellence
- National Cardiothoracic Centre
- National Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Radiotherapy Centre
Korle-Bu Neuroscience Foundation
The Korle-Bu Neuroscience Foundation (KBNF) is a project in aid of the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital. It was founded by Marjorie Ratel, a nurse of neuroscience in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The KBNF was involved in the foundation of the Korle-Bu Neuroscience Center.
- Govindaraj, Ramesh; A.A.D. Obuobi, N.K.A. Enyimayew, P. Antwi, S. Ofosu-Amaah (August 1996). "Hospital Autonomy in Ghana: The Experience of Korle Bu and Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospitals" (PDF). Data for Decision Making Project. School of Public Health, University of Ghana and Harvard School of Public Health. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- "Gold Coast under Colonial Rule 1902-1951". History of Ghana:Gold Coast era. BusinessGhana. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- "Founder of Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital". Korle Bu Neuroscience Foundation. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- Daniel Guggisberg. "Statue Dedication". The British Empire: Brigadier-General Sir Frederick Gordon Guggisberg. Stephen Luscombe. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- Daily Graphic.
- "Chief Executive Officer". Korle Bu Hospital. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "National Cardiothoracic Centre". Korle Bu Hospital. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "Reconstructive Plastics Surgery & Burns Centre". Korle Bu Hospital. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- Gibril Koroma (August 28, 2008). "Ghana Fest 2008". The Patriotic Vanguard. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- "Engaging Diaspora in Development speakers". The Vancouver Sun. March 16, 2011. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- "UTMB neuroscientist hopes to bring expertise to Ghana". Guidry News Service. February 5, 2008. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Biography of Gordon Guggisberg
- Korle-Bu Family Fund
- Korle-Bu Neuroscience Foundation
- University of Ghana Medical Laboratory Science Students Association (UG-MELSSA)