Carroll M. Ebright (March 20, 1894 – November 1979), better known as Ky Ebright was a coxswain at the University of Washington and legendary coach for the University of California, Berkeley crew team. Ky lettered at Washington in 1916 and 1917 and was a Washington assistant coach through the 1923 season. He was then sent to Berkeley to take over as the Head Coach in the fall of 1923 to revive the Cal rowing team. As described in The Log of Rowing at the University of California, Berkeley. 1870-1987 written by Jim Lemmon, Ky Ebright took the job at Cal only after he was assured that his job at Washington would be waiting for him if things did not work out in Berkeley.
During his tenure, the Cal Bears men's varsity 8 (8+) won the following events:
- 1928 Summer Olympics – Gold Medal
- 1932 Summer Olympics – Gold Medal
- 1948 Summer Olympics – Gold Medal
IRA Championships – National Title
In 1956, Ebright was inducted into the United States Rowing Hall of Fame. In addition, four of his varsity boats have been inducted:
- 1928 Univ. California Eight
- 1932 Univ. California Eight
- 1939 Univ. California Eight
- 1948 Univ. California Eight
- "U.S. National Rowing Hall of Fame". National Rowing Foundation.