|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Total||183.27 km2 (70.76 sq mi)|
|• Density||1.2/km2 (3.1/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Eastern Time Zone (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern Time Zone (UTC-4)|
Laurier is an unincorporated (geographic) township in Parry Sound District in Central Ontario, Canada. It is served by a local services board of the same name and is part of the Almaguin Highlands region.
The township also constitutes the entire unorganized area of Parry Sound, Unorganized, North East Part. The division had a population of 217 in the Canada 2011 Census, and a land area of 183.27 square kilometres.
This township in Parry Sound District was named in 1878 for Wilfrid (later Sir Wilfrid) Laurier (1841-1919), then minister of inland revenue in Alexander Mackenzie's government and later Prime Minister of Canada, 1896-1911.
The Canadian National Railway transcontinental main line and Ontario Highway 11 travel a roughly parallel course from the middle of the western edge to the centre of the northern edge of the township.
- "Laurier". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada. http://www4.rncan.gc.ca/search-place-names/unique.php?id=FBWPB&output=xml. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "2011 Census Profile".
- "Laurier" (PDF). Geology Ontario - Historic Claim Maps. Ontario Ministry of Northern Development, Mines and Forestry. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Local Services Boards, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 737. Canadian Legal Information Institute.
- GeoSearch 2006
- Rayburn, Alan (1997). Place Names of Ontario. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. p. 190. ISBN 0-8020-7207-0. OCLC 36342881.
Other map sources:
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (2012-01-01) (PDF). Map 8 (Map). 1 : 700,000. Official road map of Ontario. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/map/images/pdf/southont/sheets/Map8.pdf. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (2006). Restructured municipalities - Ontario map #4 (Map). Restructuring Maps of Ontario. http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Asset1606.aspx. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- Almaguin Highlands Communities, Almaguin Highlands Regional Portal
|Machar, South River||Ballantyne Township in Unorganized South Nipissing District|