Osman playing for Everton in 2011
|Full name||Leon Osman|
|Date of birth||17 May 1981|
|Place of birth||Billinge Higher End,
Wigan, Greater Manchester, England
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|2002–2003||→ Carlisle United (loan)||12||(1)|
|2004||→ Derby County (loan)||17||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of match played 16 April 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Leon Osman (born 17 May 1981) is an English football player who plays for Everton in the Premier League and the England national football team. He has spent his whole career as an Everton player, though he has spent time on loan at Carlisle United and Derby County.
Osman joined the Everton Academy, and was part of the team that won the 1998 FA Youth Cup. Following the cup victory, he sustained a knee injury which kept him from playing for a year.
Osman was loaned to Carlisle United in October 2002. He scored once for the team in the league fixture against Macclesfield Town, and a brace against Oldham Athletic in the LDV Vans Trophy. He was subsequently named Player of the Year by the club. Osman was granted a one year extension to his Everton contract in the summer of 2003, but failed to break into the first team until the end of the 2003–04 season. Instead, he was again loaned out, this time to Derby County. He had an integral role in Derby's successful bid to avoid relegation, and manager George Burley tried to buy him from Everton. Instead, Osman returned to his parent club with three games remaining in Everton's season. Manager David Moyes gave Osman his first start, against Wolverhampton Wanderers, and he scored within three minutes of his debut.
Osman became a first team regular in 2004–05, playing on the right wing of a 4–1–4–1 formation. He finished the season with seven goals including two in a game against Aston Villa. In the 2005–06 season, Osman's place in the Everton's first team was challenged by the new signing Simon Davies. However, Osman was able to establish himself as a first team regular by 2006–07, a season in which made 37 appearances and scored three goals.
His start to the 2007–08 season began with two goals in consecutive wins against Wigan Athletic and Tottenham Hotspur. His appearance in the starting 11 for Everton was threatened by the arrival of South African loan-signing Steven Pienaar. Osman scored his first goal in a UEFA competition on 25 October 2007, Everton's second in a 3–1 UEFA Cup Group Stage win over Greek club Larissa at Goodison Park. His shot from 22 yards helped Everton to the top of the group and was voted Everton's Goal of the Season. Leon Osman scored both goals in Everton's 2–0 win over Fulham on the final day of the season to secure Everton 5th place in the Premier League for 2008–09. The following season Osman captained Everton for the first time in a League Cup game away to Hull City scoring once in the 4–0 victory.
In April 2010, Osman was named man of the match in two consecutive games. He also ended the 2010–11 Premier League season with four goals.
Osman scored an impressive long-range goal against reigning champions Manchester City on 16 March 2013, as Everton claimed a 2–0 victory. It was his eighth of the season, an all time personal record. The goal coincided with his 300th start in all competitions for Everton, and was also his 50th goal for the club. In December, Osman also scored on his 300th Premier League appearance during a 4–1 win over Fulham. Later in the same month he made his 303rd Premier League appearance to break David Unsworth's club record. In April, it was announced that Osman will be awarded a testimonial as part of Everton's pre-season schedule for the 2014–15 season.
As well as England, his country of birth, Osman was eligible to play for Turkey through his father's Turkish-Cypriot origin. Osman represented England at U16 level in the 1997–98 season. On 14 November 2012, at the age of 31, Osman earned his first senior call-up to the England squad for a friendly fixture against Sweden. Osman started in central midfield for his country in a 4–2 defeat against Sweden, in which he played the full 90 minutes. On 31 January 2013, Osman was named in the England squad for the second time for the friendly fixture against Brazil on 6 February 2013, though he was left on the subs bench for the match. Osman received his first competitive international call up after being named in the England squad on 14 March 2013 for the World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro. Osman made his competitive England debut against San Marino.
- As of match played 16 April 2014.
|Club||Season||Division||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Other||Total|
|Carlisle United (loan)||2002–03||Third Division||12||1||–||–||–||3||2||15||3|
|Derby County (loan)||2003–04||First Division||17||3||–||–||–||–||17||3|
- As of match played 6 February 2013.
|England national team|
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 323. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Leon Osman". premierleague.com. Premier League. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- Barton, Laura (23 November 2009). "Lady Ashton went to my school". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- Anderson, David (17 September 2012). "The Everton column: Why Leon Osman deserves to get recognition outside of Goodison Park". Mirror. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "LEON OSMAN: What makes an Everton player? Desire, heart, quality and character...". Daily Mail. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 16 February 2013. "I've got a Somalian grandfather."
- "Macclesfield 2–2 Carlisle". BBC. 19 October 2002. Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- "Oldham 3–4 Carlisle". BBC. 22 October 2002. Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- "Osman impresses Burley". Everton. Retrieved 2011-11-26.
- "Aston Villa 1–3 Everton". ESPNFC. 26 February 2005.
- Prentice, David (8 June 2005). "Football: OSMAN RELISHES NEW BATTLE; Everton star knows signings would increase fight for places". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Cahill's return has Everton fizzing again". The Guardian. 25 October 2007.
- "Sports Keeda – Leon Osman". Sports Keeda. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Osman delighted to bounce back from FA Cup heartbreak with win over City". The Daily Mail. 16 March 2013.
- "Goal That Appears To Defy Physics May Have Ended Manchester City's Title Hopes". Business Insider. 16 March 2013.
- "Everton too strong for Fulham". ESPN. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Leon Osman urges Everton to target a top four finish and Champions League qualification". Sky Sports. 8 April 2014.
- "Premier League: Leon Osman granted testimonial for long service to Everton". Sky Sports. 8 April 2014.
- "Turkish Cypriot to play football for England squad". LGC News. 9 November 2012.
- "Profile of Leon Osman". TheFA.com. 8 November 2012. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- "Sweden 4 England 2". BBC Sport. 15 November 2012. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- "England secured their first win over Brazil for 23 years as Frank Lampard's spectacular strike gave them victory at Wembley.". BBC Sport. 6 February 2013.
- "Hodgson names England squad for World Cup 2014 qualifiers in San Marino and Montenegro – Rio Ferdinand returns". ITV. 14 March 2013.
- "BBC Sport – San Marino 0–8 England". BBC. 23 Mar 2013.
- Includes other competitive tournaments such as the Football League Trophy
- "Osman, Leon". National Football Teams. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- Leon Osman career stats at Soccerbase
- Profile at premierleague.com
- Profile at TheFA.com
- Profile at EvertonFC.com