Kamyshin, Volgograd Oblast
|Fields||philosophy of history|
|Institutions||Volgograd Center for Social Research|
|Alma mater||Volgograd State Pedagogical University|
|Known for||his World History periodization and typology of state systems|
|Notable awards||In 2012 he was awarded with the Gold Kondratieff Medal by the International N. D. Kondratieff Foundation.|
He is a Research Professor and Director of the Volgograd Center for Social Research, as well as Deputy Director of the Eurasian Center for Big History & System Forecasting. He is Editor-in-Chief of the journal Age of Globalization (in Russian), a vice-editor of the journals History and Modernity, Historical Psychology and Sociology of History and Philosophy and Society (all in Russian), and a co-editor of the Social Evolution & History and Journal of Globalization Studies and co-editor of almanacs History & Mathematics and Evolution.
Dr. Grinin is the author of more than 300 scholarly publications in Russian and English, including 22 monographs and other scholarly publications dealing with his research interests. In 2012 he was awarded with the Gold Kondratieff Medal by the International N. D. Kondratieff Foundation.
Leonid Grinin's current research interests include Big History and macro-evolution, globalization studies, economic cycles, the long-term trends in the cultural evolution and evolution of technologies, periodization of history, political anthropology and long-term development of the political systems, world-systems studies.
Periodization of history
Grinin suggests a four-staged periodization of historical process. The transition from one stage to another is the change of all basic characteristics of the respective stage. As the starting point of such a change Grinin proposes the production principle that describes the major qualitative stages of the development of the world productive forces. Grinin singles out four principles of production: Hunter-gatherer; Craft-Agrarian; Industrial; and Information-Scientific. To clear up the chronology of the beginning of each respective stage he proposes the three production revolutions: the Agrarian or Neolithic Revolution; the Industrial Revolution, and the Information-Scientific Revolution
Development of political systems
Grinin insists that the two-stage scheme of the state macroevolution (Early State – Mature State) proposed by Henri Claessen and Peter Skalnik is not sufficient, and suggests that it should be modified as "Early State – Developed State – Mature State", emphasizing that the differences between developed and early states are no less pronounced than the ones between the former and the mature states.
Globalization and sovereignty
In the world political science the subject of change, ‘diffusion’, or ‘disappearing’ of national sovereignty is widely debated. Grinin argues that on the whole globalization contributes to the change and reduction of state sovereign powers, and he investigates the reasons and consequences of the deliberate voluntary reduction of sovereign prerogatives as most states voluntarily and deliberately limit the scope of their sovereignty.
People of celebrity
Grinin also investigates the influence of the personal celebrity factor on the social life of modern society, analyses celebrities as a special stratum and reasons for the rapid increase in the importance of social role of personal celebrity. He argues that personal celebrity is to be added to the list of those features that determine the major forms of inequality and by analogy with Berger's ‘knowledge-class people’ suggests defining the stratum of people whose occupation is connected with celebrity and whose major capital is celebrity with the notion ‘people of celebrity’.
Among other things it has been suggested by Grinin to view social Anagenesis/aromorphosis as a universal / widely diffused social innovation that raises social systems’ complexity, adaptability, integrity, and interconnectedness.
- Philosophy, Sociology, and Theory of History (in Russian)
- Productive Forces and Historical Process (in Russian)
- Formations and Civilizations (in Russian)
- State and Historical Process (in Russian)
- Global Crisis in Retroespective (coauthored with Andrey Korotayev, 2010, in Russian).
- The Evolution of Statehood From Early States to Global Society. Saarbrucken: Lambert Academic Publishing, 2011 .
- Macrohistory and Globalization. Volgograd: ‘Uchitel’ Publishing House, 2012.
- The Early State and its Analogues: A Comparative Analysis. In Early state, its Alternatives and Analogues Edited by: Leonid E. Grinin, Robert L. Carneiro, Dmitri M. Bondarenko, Nikolay N. Kradin, and Andrey V. Korotayev. Volgograd: Uchitel Publishing house, 2004. Pp. 88–136.
- Democracy and Early State
- Periodization of History: A theoretic-mathematical analysis (in History & Mathematics, pp. 10–38. Moscow: KomKniga/URSS, 2006),
- Aromorphoses in Biological аnd Social Evolution: Some General Rules for Biological and Social Forms of Macroevolution.
- Will the Global Crisis Lead to Global Transformations? 1. The Global Financial System: Pros and Cons (in coauthorship with Andrey Korotayev). Journal of Globalization Studies. Vol. 1, num. 1. 2010. 
- Kondratieff Waves: Dimensions and Prospects at the Dawn of the 21st Century. Volgograd: Uchitel, 2012. <co-editor, with Andrey Korotayev and Tessaleno Devezas; in English>
- The International N. D. Kondratieff Foundation
- Journal of Globalization Studies
- A series of the almanacs dedicated to various aspects of the application of mathematical methods to the study of history and society 
- almanac Evolution
- The International N. D. Kondratieff Foundation
- Grinin L. Production Revolutions and Periodization of History: A Comparative and Theoretic-mathematical Approach. Social Evolution & History. Vol. 6, num, 2, 2007. 
- Grinin L. Early State, Developed State, Mature State: The Statehood Evolutionary Sequence. Social Evolution & History. Vol. 7, num. 1, 2008, pp. 67-81 
- Grinin L. Globalization and Sovereignty: Why do States Abandon their Sovereign Prerogatives? Age of Globalization. Number 1, 2008 
- Grinin L. ‘People of celebrity’ as a new social stratum and elite. In Hierarchy and Power in the History of Civilizations: Cultural Dimensions (pp. 183–206). / Ed. by Leonid E. Grinin and Andrey V. Korotayev. Moscow: KRASAND, 2009. 
- Leonid Grinin & Andrey Korotayev. Social Macroevolution: Growth of the World System Integrity and a System of Phase Transitions. World Futures, Volume 65, Issue 7 October 2009 , pages 477–506.