Pustec and the island of Maligrad
|Elevation||830 m (2,720 ft)|
|Time zone||Central European Time (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Pustec (Macedonian: Пустец) is a village in the Korçë District of Albania. Situated on the southwestern shore of Lake Prespa, it is the center of the municipality also called Pustec, which is home to much of the Macedonian minority in Albania.
Pustec is located on the southwestern shore of Lake Prespa and is the nearest village to the island of Maligrad. It sits at an elevation of 861 meters (2825 feet) above sea level. To the northeast, along the lake, lies Diellas, while in the southeast is the village of Lajthizë.
Pustec and the surrounding region lie within the Prespa National Park.
The village of Pustec was first mentioned in documents from 16th century.
In 1973, the official name of the village was changed to "Liqenas" by the Albanian government. In 2013, however, the original Macedonian name, Pustec, was once again made official.
The majority of the population are ethnic Macedonians.
The village of Pustec is situated near two centuries' old rock churches. The first, St Michael the Archangel, is situated on the Lake Prespa shore. Its oldest frescoes date from the 12th century. The other, St Nicholas, contains only fragments of its original frescoes.
People from Pustec
- Trajan Gjorgjiovski, partisan
- Mitre Kolevski, partisan
- Edmond Themelko, mayor of Pustec Municipality and president of the Macedonian Party
- Naumovski, Jaklina (25 January 2014). "Minorités en Albanie : les Macédoniens craignent la réorganisation territoriale du pays". Balkan Courriers. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Liqenas". Geoview.info. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- D.M.Brancoff. "La Macédoine et sa Population Chrétienne". Paris, 1905, p.170-171
- Mazon, André. Documents, contes et chansons slaves de l’Albanie du Sud, Paris, 1936, p.3
- Pustec poveke ne e Liqenas
- Angeličin-Žura, Goce. Пештерните цркви во Охридско-Преспанскиот регион (Р. Македонија, Р. Албанија, Р. Грција). Ниш: В: „Ниш и Византија IV: зборник радова“; Симпозиум „Ниш и Византија IV“, Зборник радова IV, Ниш, 3 - 5 юни 2005. p. 397. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Ta Pastrojmë Prespën Në Një Ditë" (in Albanian). Makedonium. 30 November 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2014.