Vladimir Nabokov bibliography
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of works by Vladimir Nabokov)
This is a list of works by writer Vladimir Nabokov.
- 1 Fiction
- 2 Nonfiction
- 3 Collected Works
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Novels and novellas
Novels and novellas written in Russian
- (1926) Mashen'ka (Машенька); English translation: Mary (1970)
- (1928) Korol' Dama Valet (Король, дама, валет); English translation: King, Queen, Knave (1968)
- (1930) Zashchita Luzhina (Защита Лужина); English translation: The Luzhin Defense or The Defense (1964) (also adapted to film, The Luzhin Defence, in 2000)
- (1930) The Eye (Соглядатай (The Eye)), novella; first publication as a book 1938; English translation: The Eye (1965)
- (1932) Podvig (Подвиг (Deed)); English translation: Glory (1971)
- (1933) Kamera Obskura (Камера Обскура); English translations: Camera Obscura (1936), Laughter in the Dark (1938)
- (1934) Otchayanie (Отчаяние); English translation: Despair (1937, 1965)
- (1936) Priglasheniye na kazn' (Приглашение на казнь (Invitation to an execution)); English translation: Invitation to a Beheading (1959)
- (1938) Dar (Дар); English translation: The Gift (1963)
- (Unpublished novella, written in 1939) Volshebnik (Волшебник); English translation: The Enchanter (1985)
Novels written in English
- (1941) The Real Life of Sebastian Knight
- (1947) Bend Sinister
- (1955) Lolita, self-translated into Russian (1965)
- (1957) Pnin
- (1962) Pale Fire
- (1969) Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle
- (1972) Transparent Things
- (1974) Look at the Harlequins!
- (2009) The Original of Laura (fragmentary, written during mid-1970s and published posthumously)
Short story collections
- (1930) Vozvrashchenie Chorba ("The Return of Chorb"). Fifteen short stories and twenty-four poems, in Russian, by "V. Sirin".
- (1938) Sogliadatai ("The Eye"). Thirteen short stories, in Russian, by "V. Sirin".
- (1947) Nine Stories
- (1956) Vesna v Fial'te i drugie rasskazy ("Spring in Fialta and other stories")
- (1958) Nabokov's Dozen: A Collection of Thirteen Stories (Also reprinted as Spring in Fialta and First Love and Other Stories.)
- (1966) Nabokov's Quartet
- (1968) Nabokov's Congeries; reprinted as The Portable Nabokov (1971)
- (1973) A Russian Beauty and Other Stories
- (1975) Tyrants Destroyed and Other Stories
- (1976) Details of a Sunset and Other Stories
- (1995) The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov (alternative title The Collected Stories) -- complete collection of all short stories
Uncollected short stories
- (1948) "Colette". The New Yorker, July 31, 1948
- (2005) "The Word". The New Yorker, December 6, 2005 
- (2008) "Natasha". The New Yorker, June 9 & 16, 2008
- (1938) Izobretenie Val'sa (The Waltz Invention); English translation The Waltz Invention: A Play in Three Acts (1966)
- The Tragedy of Mister Morn (2012): English translation of a Russian-language play written 1923–24, publicly read 1924, published in a journal 1997, independently published 2008
- (1974) Lolita: A Screenplay (Despite the credits given in the earlier film version, this was not used.)
- (1984) The Man from the USSR and Other Plays
- (1916) Stikhi ("Poems"). Sixty-eight poems in Russian.
- (1918) Al'manakh: Dva Puti (An Almanac: Two Paths"). Twelve poems by Nabokov and eight by Andrei Balashov, in Russian.
- (1922) Grozd ("The Cluster"). Thirty-six poems in Russian, by "V. Sirin".
- (1923) Gornii Put' ("The Empyrean Path"). One hundred and twenty-eight poems in Russian, by "Vl. Sirin".
- (1929) Vozvrashchenie Chorba ("The Return of Chorb"). Fifteen short stories and twenty-four poems, in Russian, by "V. Sirin".
- (1952) Stikhotvoreniia 1929–1951 ("Poems 1929–1951") Fifteen poems in Russian.
- (1959) Poems. The contents were later incorporated within Poems and Problems.
- (1969) Poems and Problems (a collection of poetry and chess problems). The contents were later incorporated within Selected Poems.
- (1979) Stikhi ("Poems"). Two hundred and twenty-two poems in Russian.
- (2012) Selected Poems
From French into Russian
From English into Russian
- (1923) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (as Аня в стране чудес )
From Russian into English
- (1945) Three Russian Poets: Selections from Pushkin, Lermontov, and Tyutchev. Expanded British edition: Pushkin, Lermontov, Tyutchev: Poems (1947)
- (1958) A Hero of Our Time, by Mikhail Lermontov. (Collaboration with his son Dmitri.)
- (1960) The Song of Igor's Campaign: An Epic of the Twelfth Century
- (1964) Eugene Onegin, by Aleksandr Pushkin, in prose. Includes "Notes on Prosody". Revised edition (1975).
- (2008) Verses and Versions (edited by Brian Boyd and Stanislav Shvabrin), includes materials previously published in Three Russian Poets (1945) and Pushkin, Lermontov, Tyutchev (1947) as well as unpublished materials.
- (1944) Nikolai Gogol
- (1963) Notes on Prosody (Later appeared within Eugene Onegin.)
- (1980) Lectures on Literature
- (1980) Lectures on Ulysses. Facsimiles of Nabokov's notes.
- (1981) Lectures on Russian Literature
- (1983) Lectures on Don Quixote
Autobiographical and other
- (1949) "Curtain-Raiser". The New Yorker 24/45 (1 January 1949): 18-21.
- (1951) Conclusive Evidence: A Memoir - first version of Nabokov's autobiography. (British edition titled Speak, Memory: A Memoir)
- (1954) Drugie Berega (Другие берега, "Other Shores") - revised version of the autobiography
- (1967) Speak, Memory: An Autobiography Revisited - final revised and extended edition of Conclusive Evidence. It includes information on his work as a lepidopterist.
- (1973) Strong Opinions. Interviews, reviews, letters to editors.
- (1979) The Nabokov–Wilson Letters Letters between Nabokov and Edmund Wilson
- (1984) Perepiska s Sestroi (Переписка с Сестрой (Correspondence with the Sister)) Correspondence between Nabokov and Helene Sikorski; also includes some letters to his brother Kirill
- (1987) Carrousel. Three long-forgotten short texts that had recently been rediscovered.
- (1989) Selected Letters
- (2001) Dear Bunny, Dear Volodya: The Nabokov–Wilson Letters, 1940–1971. A revised and augmented edition of The Nabokov–Wilson Letters.
- Boyd, Brian, ed. Vladimir Nabokov, Novels and Memoirs 1943-1951 (Library of America, 1996) ISBN 978-1-883011-18-5
- Boyd, Brian, ed. Vladimir Nabokov, Novels 1955-1962 (Library of America, 1996) ISBN 978-1-883011-19-2
- Boyd, Brian, ed. Vladimir Nabokov, Novels 1969-1974 (Library of America, 1996) ISBN 978-1-883011-20-8