Lizzy Borden (band)
Lizzy Borden performing at the 2008 Bang Your Head Festival in Germany.
|Also known as||Starwood
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Genres||Heavy metal, power metal, glam metal, hard rock, shock rock|
|Website||Official Lizzy Borden Website|
Joey Scott Harges
|Past members||See: Members|
Lizzy Borden specializes in the shock rock style originated by artists such as Alice Cooper and Kiss. The band is named after the notorious Lizzie Borden, a woman accused and acquitted of murder in the late 19th century.
Though the band was considered a part of the Los Angeles "glam metal" scene in the mid-1980s, they were musically influenced by bands such as Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Kiss. Their lyrical themes are more representative of this style, especially on earlier recordings.
The band was featured prominently in the rockumentary The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years. One-time Lizzy Borden guitarist Joe Holmes also played with David Lee Roth and Ozzy Osbourne, former bassist Michael Davis joined Halford in 2003, and current Swedish-born bassist Marten Andersson has also toured and recorded with Lynch Mob and Legacy.
On May 17, 2004, guitarist Alex Nelson was killed in a head-on car collision. Lizzy Borden disbanded soon after.
In 2006, Lizzy Borden regrouped with new guitarist Ira Black and on November 1, 2007, the album Appointment with Death was released worldwide. The album also features guest appearances by George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob), Dave Meniketti (Y&T), and Corey Beaulieu (Trivium), among others. The first video for "Tomorrow Never Comes" was nominated for video of the year and was in the Top 25 Metal Videos of 2008 on MTV's Headbangers Ball. The follow-up video for "Under Your Skin" premiered in April the same year.
In early 2008 the band announced various festival appearances including Sweden Rock Festival (Sweden), Kobetasonik festival (Spain) and Bang Your Head Festival (Germany). In November 2008 Lizzy Borden toured the United States with Finnish Monster Rockers Lordi. The band toured Europe as part of their headlining tour, performing in 11 countries. Lizzy Borden was the first-day headliner of the two-day Keep It True XII festival at Tauberfrankenhalle in Lauda-Königshofen Germany 2009. North American festival appearances included Rocklahoma and Rock Gone Wild.
On Jan 24, 2009, former guitarist Corey James died in a car accident.
In 2010 Lizzy Borden toured North America and Europe, including festival appearances at Wacken Open Air 2010, Alcatraz Metal Festival, Leyendas del Rock festival (cancelled) and Elsrock Festival.
In 2011 Lizzy Borden launched the "Summer of Blood" tour in North American Followed by the European version, entitled "Death Takes a Holiday Tour", festival appearances in 2011 included Heaven and Hell Metal Fest, Christmas Metal Festival and the Hard Rock Hell Festival.
On Dec 17, 2011, drummer and founding member Joey Scott married German tour manager and dancer Steffi in Las Vegas, NV.
In 2012, Lizzy Borden performed on various Open Air Festivals in Mexico and Europe. Festivals included Hellfest Open Air Festival in Clisson France and Gods of Metal in Milan Italy. Both festivals were with Ozzy, Mötley Crüe, Guns N' Roses and more. They returned to Europe in July 2012 to play Zwarte Cross festival in Holland, Headbangers Open Air in Germany and Bulgaria the first time in their career at the Kavarna Rock Festival.
In 2013, Lizzy Borden premiered their new tour "30 years of American metal" show created from the ground up at the 70000_Tons_of_Metal, followed by a string of North American shows.
- Current members
- Lizzy Borden – lead vocals (1983–present)
- Joey Scott – drums (1983–present)
- Mårten Andersson – bass (1992–present)
- Dario Lorina – guitars (2009–present)
- Former members
- Gene Allen – guitars (1983–1988)
- Tony Matuzak – guitars (1983–1985)
- Steve Hochheiser – bass (1983)
- Michael Davis – bass (1983–1988)
- Alex Nelson – guitars (1984–1986, 1989–2004; died 2004)
- Joe Holmes – guitars (1987–1988)
- Brian Perry – bass (1989–1992)
- David Michael Philips - guitars (1989–1996, 2000)
- Corey James Daum – guitars (1989–1996; died 2009)
- Ronnie Jude - guitars (1989)
- Joe Steals – guitars (for Starwood) (2003–2004)
- Ira Black – guitars (2006–2008)
- Chris Sanders – guitars (2008–2010)
- AC Alexander – guitars (2010–2012)
Studio albums 
- Love You to Pieces (1985)
- Menace to Society (1986)
- Visual Lies (1987)
- Master of Disguise (1989)
- Deal with the Devil (2000)
- If It Ain't Broke, Break It! (as Starwood) (2004) (2005?)
- Appointment with Death (2007)
- Give 'Em the Axe (1984)
- Terror Rising (1987)
Live albums 
- The Murderess Metal Road Show (1986)
- Best of Lizzy Borden (1994)
- Demo '83 (1983)
- "Ultra Violence" (1986)
- "Me Against the World" / "Den of Thieves" (1987)
- Classic Rock Magazine. Issue 130, April 2009, page 14.
- Official Lizzy Borden website
- Official Lizzy Borden MySpace
- The official website of Bassplayer Marten Andersson
- Lizzy Borden Interviewed at Hard Rock Hell Festival 2011
- Interview with Lizzy Borden on Komodo Rock