The Lucky Dime Caper Starring Donald Duck, known in Japan as Donald Duck's Lucky Dime (ドナルドダックのラッキーダイム Donarudo Dakku no Rakkī Daimu), is a platform game released for Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear in 1991. It is the 8-bit counterpart to QuackShot (a Sega Mega Drive/Genesis-only release), another Disney-licensed game which also features Donald Duck as the main character, though this two games differ in story and gameplay. A sequel to "Lucky Dime Caper", Deep Duck Trouble, also featuring Donald Duck, was released for Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear in 1993.
The evil witch Magica De Spell has stolen Uncle Scrooge's Number One Dime and kidnapped his nephews, Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Donald Duck embarks on a mission, traveling around the world to save his three nephews and recover Scrooge's lucky dime.
The game is a side-scrolling platformer. The gameplay follows the same pattern of Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse which was released for Sega consoles a year before, but unlike Mickey, Donald can attack enemies by hitting them with a hammer or throwing discs. He can also attack faster by collecting star items.
Version Differences 
Despite the Sega Master System and Game Gear being very similar machines, there are some differences between the two versions of this game.
- While following the same storyline, the intro sequences are different.
- The level select screen on the Game Gear does not have any music.
- The layout of platforms, enemy positions are different.
- In the Game Gear version, bonus items are pre-placed in the level, whereas in the Master System version they are only obtainable by killing enemies.
- The Master System game allows you to back track, the Game Gear version does not.
- Collecting five stars in the Master System game gives you limited invulnerability, the Game Gear version gives additional points.
- When hit by an enemy, Donald loses his hammer weapon in the Master System version; it can be obtained as bonus item after killing an enemy. The hammer is not lost when hit by an enemy in the Game Gear version.
See also