MS Europa (1999)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009)|
MS Europa in Sylt, July 2003
|Port of registry:||Nassau, Bahamas|
|Builder:||Kvaerner Masa-Yards Hietalahti shipyard, Helsinki, Finland|
|Identification:||IMO number: 9183855|
|General characteristics |
|Length:||198.60 metres (651.6 ft)|
|Beam:||24 metres (79 ft)|
|Draught:||6 metres (20 ft)|
|Decks:||11 (7 passenger-accessible)|
|Capacity:||408 passengers in 204 suites|
The MS Europa is a cruise ship owned and operated by the German company Hapag-Lloyd. It is the 4th ship to be named Europa in the company's history. For twelve years in row, the MS Europa was awarded the title "best cruise ship in the world" by Ward-Ranking and Berlitz. The previous Europa is currently sailing as the Saga Sapphire for Saga Cruises.
The Europa was designed as a sleek, streamlined luxury cruise ship. Her design is comparable to other luxury ships such as Silversea Cruises Silver Shadow. Europa was one of the first ships designed with ABB Azipod propulsion system, implemented to reduce vibration towards the stern of the ship.
Interior Design and Facilities
Being designed as a luxury ship, all of her cabins are described as suites. There are 204 suites. Out of the 204 suites, 168 have their own private veranda. The largest suites are 915sq. ft, and the smallest are 291sq. ft.
Decks and facilities are based on Hapag-Lloyd deck plans, which includes both crew and passenger decks.
- Unknown - Crew and engineering facilities
- Unknown - Crew cabins and storage facilities
- A Deck - Hospital, tender platforms, crew and officer cabins
- Europa Deck Atrium, casino, and restaurant
- Pazifik Deck - Passenger Accommodation and photo shop
- Atlantik Deck - Passenger Accommodation
- Sport Deck - Gym and spa facilities
- Lido Deck - Pool, cinema, café
- Bellevue Deck - Sun deck, pool
- Penthouse Deck - Penthouse suites
- Peli Deck (#11) - Designated nude sunbathing deck
- "MS EUROPA Ship details Technical details". Archived from the original on 2012-05-03.
- "Five Stars Plus". 2008-Sep26. Archived from the original on 2012-05-03. Check date values in:
- "2009 Berlitz Ratings Summary". Retrieved 200-Sep-15. Check date values in:
- "Visit the best ship in the world". 2011-09-30. Archived from the original on 2012-05-03.
- "MS Europa". Archived from the original on 2012-05-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MS Europa.|
- Official website
- Professional photographs from shipspotting.com
- "Europa (9183855)". Equasis. French Ministry for Transport. http://www.equasis.org/EquasisWeb/restricted/ShipList?fs=ShipSearch&P_PAGE=1&P_IMO=9183855. Retrieved 2012-May-03.(registration required)
- "High seas, high class" – review in The Sydney Morning Herald of a cruise on the MS Europa.
- amassiveoverdoseofships.com website.