Wayns during his tenure with the Clippers
|Rio Grande Valley Vipers|
May 2, 1991 |
|Listed height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Listed weight||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school||Roman Catholic
|NBA draft||2012 / Undrafted|
|Pro playing career||2012–present|
|2013||Rio Grande Valley Vipers|
|2013–2014||Los Angeles Clippers|
|2014–present||Rio Grande Valley Vipers|
Maalik Benjamin Wayns (born May 2, 1991) is an American professional basketball player. Wayns played high school basketball for Roman Catholic High School in Philadelphia, where he was a Parade All-American as well as a McDonald's All-American.
Wayns was born on May 2, 1991 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Verland and Deborah Wayns. Maalik has one sibling named V. J. Wayns.
Wayns was a member of Roman Catholic High School's varsity basketball team. As a Junior, he averaged 22.4 points, 5.1 assists, 4.8 rebounds, and 2.1 steals. Wayns was also a two-time MVP in the Philadelphia Catholic League and also first team all-city and all-state in Pennsylvania. As a Senior, Wayns averaged 19.2 points, 5.1 rebounds and 5.5 assists. He was named a Parade All-American and McDonald's All-American at the end of the year.
Wayns chose to attend Villanova University to play under coach Jay Wright. On November 16, 2009, Wayns scored 16 points in 18 minutes to help Villanova defeat the University of Pennsylvania. He was named Big East All-Rookie Team and won the Big East Rookie of the Week three times. Wayns finished with 6.8 points and 1.3 assists.
Wayns scored 15 points and 6 assists against Bucknell University on November 12, 2010. He had a career night against the Marist Red Foxes on November 16, 2010, as he scored 17 points to go with 4 assists and 7 rebounds and 1 steal as 'Nova won 84-47. He recorded his first double-double against Boston University on November 17, 2010, scoring 12 points and dishing 12 assists. He had a career-high 19 points against UCLA on November 24, 2010 along with 6 rebounds as Villanova won 82-70.
After going undrafted in the 2012 NBA draft, he joined the Orlando Magic for the Orlando Summer League and the Golden State Warriors for the Las Vegas Summer League. On July 31, 2012, he signed with the Philadelphia 76ers. On January 6, 2013, he was waived by the 76ers but was re-signed to a 10-day contract on January 8, 2013. He was not re-signed when that contract expired. On January 21, 2013, he was acquired by the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA D-League. On March 9, 2013, Wayns signed a 10-day contract with the Los Angeles Clippers. On March 19, 2013, he signed a second 10-day contract with the Clippers. On March 29, 2013, Wayns was signed by the Clippers for the remainder of the season. He joined the Clippers for the 2013 NBA Summer League. On January 5, 2014, he was waived by the Clippers. On January 8, 2014, the Clippers signed him to a 10-day contract. On January 16, he was released by the Clippers.
On February 17, 2014, he was re-acquired by the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
- "Sixers Sign Rookie Free Agent Maalik Wayns". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. July 31, 2012. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- Sixers Recall Arnett Moultrie From D-League And Waive Maalik Wayns
- Sixers Sign Maalik Wayns To 10-day Contract
- Sixers Sign Guard Shelvin Mack to 10-Day Contract
- 2012-13 RGV Vipers Transactions
- "MAALIK WAYNS SIGNED TO 10-DAY CONTRACT". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. March 9, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "MAALIK WAYNS SIGNED TO SECOND 10-DAY CONTRACT". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. March 19, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "MAALIK WAYNS SIGNED FOR REMAINDER OF SEASON". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. March 29, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- Clippers waive guard Maalik Wayns
- Clippers sign guard Wayns to 10-day contract
- CLIPPERS SIGN FORWARD HEDO TURKOGLU; Team Also Re-Signs Darius Morris And Releases Maalik Wayns
- Vipers Acquire Maalik Wayns