Maggie Beer was born Margaret Ann Ackermann in Sydney in January 1945, to Ronald Ackermann, who has German ancestry from his paternal grandparents, and Doreen Carter, who has English ancestry from her maternal great-grandparents.
Maggie and her husband Colin established the Barossa Pheasant Farm Restaurant in 1978 in the Barossa Valley of South Australia. The restaurant became known for serving pheasant (which was raised locally) as well as a pate, known as Pheasant Farm Pate. Maggie and Colin operated the restaurant until 1993.
Later, she became a partner in the Charlick's Feed Store restaurant in Ebenezer Place, Adelaide.
Currently, Maggie operates a business in the Barossa which produces a range of gourmet foods, including Pheasant Farm Pate, quince paste, verjuice and ice creams.
She co-hosted the ABC television cooking program The Cook and the Chef with Simon Bryant, who is the Head Chef for the Hilton, Adelaide. She has also appeared several times as a guest judge and guest masterclass presenter on MasterChef Australia.
Maggie has written several books about food and food preparation, as well as co-authoring a book with noted chef Stephanie Alexander.
She has two daughters, Saskia and Ellie.
In 2008, Maggie Beer won the Australian Publishers Association's llustrated Book of the Year for Maggie's Harvest.
In the Australia Day Honours of 2012, Maggie Beer was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia (AM), "for service to the tourism and hospitality industries as a cook, restauranteur and author, and to the promotion of Australian produce and cuisine".
- Cooking With Verjuice
- Stephanie Alexander and Maggie Beer's Tuscan Cookbook
- Maggie's Table
- Maggie's Harvest
- Maggie's Kitchen
- Maggie's Orchard
- "Maggie Beer's Who Do You Think You Are? page". SBS Television. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Maggie Beer". It's an Honour: Centenary Medal. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Brooks wins Book of the Year award", The Sydney Morning Herald, 2008-06-15
- "Senior Australian of the Year", Retrieved 25 January 2011
- It's an Honour: AM
- Maggie Beer's website
- ABC profile
- ABC TV: The Cook and the Chef
- Maggie Beer discussing her recent book, Maggie's Harvest at the State library of Queensland
- Video of Maggie Beer discussing Maggie's Harvest from Penguin Group (Australia)