Man on a Ledge
|Man on a Ledge|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Asger Leth|
|Produced by||Lorenzo di Bonaventura
|Written by||Pablo Fenjves|
|Music by||Henry Jackman|
|Editing by||Kevin Stitt|
|Studio||Di Bonaventura Pictures|
|Distributed by||Summit Entertainment|
|Running time||102 minutes|
|Box office||$46,221,189 |
Man on a Ledge is a 2012 American action thriller film mixed with crime film directed by Asger Leth, starring Sam Worthington, Elizabeth Banks, Jamie Bell, Anthony Mackie, Génesis Rodríguez and Ed Harris. Filming took place in New York City.
In New York City, Nick Cassidy (Sam Worthington) checks in to the Roosevelt Hotel under the false name of Walker, goes to his hotel room on the 21st floor, and climbs on the ledge, apparently ready to commit suicide. The crowd below calls the police, with Dante Marcus (Titus Welliver) controlling the crowd, while Jack Dougherty (Edward Burns) tries to talk with Nick. However, Nick will only speak to negotiator Lydia Mercer (Elizabeth Banks), who is on a leave of absence, after failing to save a suicidal policeman. Lydia arrives at the hotel room and manages to acquire Nick's fingerprints from a cigarette they share. Dougherty has them analyzed and discovers that Nick is an ex-policeman, arrested for stealing a $40 million diamond from businessman David Englander (Ed Harris). Nick was given a 25-year sentence but escaped, after being allowed to attend his father's funeral. Nick, however, maintains his innocence and accuses Englander of framing him for the theft of the diamond, as Englander lost his fortune and was too proud to sell the diamond.
Unknown to the police, Nick is merely distracting them while his brother, Joey (Jamie Bell), and Joey's girlfriend, Angie (Génesis Rodríguez), break into Englander's vault across the street, to steal the diamond and prove Nick's innocence. Meanwhile, Dougherty informs Marcus of Nick's identity, and Marcus orders the jewelry store's security to check the vault. Joey and Angie are able to evade them but don't find the diamond. They set off the alarms, tricking Englander into retrieving the diamond and ambush him, stealing the diamond at gunpoint. Meanwhile, Nick's ex-partner, Mike Ackerman (Anthony Mackie), arrives at the hotel with evidence that Nick is planning something and demands to be allowed into the hotel room. Lydia does not trust him, and Dougherty backs her up. Ackerman claims he has found bomb schematics in Nick's prison cell and is convinced that he will detonate an explosive somewhere. While the crowd is evacuated by the anti-bomb squad, Lydia, believing in Nick's innocence, calls Internal Affairs and discovers that three of the cops employed by Englander were suspected of being corrupt: Ackerman, Marcus and a deceased officer called Walker.
Englander calls Marcus, one of the men who helped him frame Nick, and has him capture Joey and Angie, but they have already given the diamond to a hotel concierge, who passes it to Nick, as he is being chased by the tactical team through the hotel. Marcus chases Nick to the roof, where he has Lydia arrested for obstruction. Englander brings Joey and Angie, threatening to throw Joey off the roof, if Nick does not give him the diamond. Nick does, and Englander leaves. Meanwhile, Lydia escapes custody and rushes back to the roof. Marcus attempts to force Nick to jump off the roof, but Ackerman arrives and shoots Marcus, who wounds Ackerman. Nick rushes to Ackerman's side, and Ackerman apologizes for his part in the setup. Marcus survives, as he is wearing a bulletproof vest, and is preparing to kill Nick, when Lydia shoots him, but does not kill him. Nick jumps from the roof, onto an airbag set up earlier by the police, catches up to Englander, and retrieves the missing diamond, revealing the truth. Englander is arrested, while Nick is pardoned by the governor. Later, he meets Joey, Angie, and Lydia at a bar, where he reveals the hotel concierge to be his father, who had faked his death. Joey proposes to Angie with a diamond ring stolen from Englander's vault, and they all celebrate together.
- Sam Worthington as Nicholas "Nick" Cassidy
- Elizabeth Banks as Lydia Mercer
- Jamie Bell as Joey Cassidy
- Anthony Mackie as Michael "Mike" Ackerman.
- Génesis Rodríguez as Angela 'Angie' Maria Lopez
- Ed Harris as David "Dave" Englander.
- Kyra Sedgwick as Suzie Morales
- Edward Burns as Jackie "Jack" Dougherty
- Titus Welliver as Dante Marcus
- Felix Solis as Nestor
- William Sadler as Franklin "Frank" Cassidy and Valet
On September 3, 2010, it was confirmed that Jamie Bell had joined the cast. Filming began on October 30 in New York City. On November 1, it was confirmed that Ed Harris and Titus Welliver had joined the cast.
The first image from the set was revealed on November 2, 2010. The first teaser poster for the film was released on November 5, 2010. The first trailer was released by Summit Entertainment on September 22, 2011. The film was distributed by Summit Entertainment and E1 Entertainment (UK).
Critical Response 
The film received mostly negative reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the movie holds a 31% positive opinion (54% from the audience) based on 145 reviews. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times states: "The movie cuts back and forth between two preposterous plot lines and uses the man on the ledge as a device to pump up the tension."
The film placed fifth in the box office top ten with a low $8,300,000 gross on its opening weekend. Overall, the film has grossed just over its $42 million budget.
DVD and Blu-ray 
- "Movie Projector: 'Grey' leads 'Man on a Ledge,' 'One for the Money' - latimes.com". Los Angeles Times.
- Man on a Ledge
- Roper, Dave (2010-11-02). "First Image of Sam Worthington as a MAN ON A LEDGE".
- "Elizabeth Banks and Sam Worthington to Star in Man on a Ledge". BuzzSugar.com. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- Fleming, Mike (2010-09-02). "Jamie Bell Joins Thriller 'Man On A Ledge'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- "‘Man On A Ledge’ Adds Ed Harris And Titus Welliver". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2011-05-07.
- (2010-10-29). "Ed Harris joins Summit's 'Man on a Ledge'". AllVoices.com. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- Chitwood, Adam (2010-11-05). "Kyra Sedgwick Joins Sam Worthington Thriller MAN ON A LEDGE". Collider.com. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- Bettinger,Brendan (2010-11-05).
- Good, Ben (2012-02-02). "Trailer Tuesday: Man on a Ledge". Clapperboardblog.com. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- Man on a Ledge - Rotten Tomatoes
- "Man on a Ledge - CompleteSeasonDVDs.com". Retrieved 1 June 2012.