March 13, 1991 |
Gómez Palacio, Durango, Mexico
New York Yankees
Banuelos missed some time during the 2010 season with an appendectomy, but has since demonstrated strong development, with a mid-90s fastball and above-average secondary pitches that include a changeup and curveball. In 2010, Banuelos split time between the Class-A Advanced Tampa Yankees and the Class-AA Trenton Thunder. Banuelos was also a standout during the 2010 season of the Arizona Fall League, earning the start in the team's all-star game.
Before the 2010 season, He was rated as the Yankees sixth best prospect according to Baseball America, and in 2011 he was rated as the fourth best. He was also one of the top 50 overall prospects according to MLB.com.
In 2011, Banuelos was invited to spring training with the Yankees for the first time, drawing rave reviews. Mariano Rivera said that he believes Banuelos is the best pitching prospect he has seen. He won the James P. Dawson Award, given annually to the best rookie in camp. He was promoted to the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees on August 2. In his Triple-A debut, Banuelos struck out eight in five innings against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
Banuelos was again invited to spring training in 2012. After struggling through injuries during the 2012 season, Banuelos underwent Tommy John surgery, and, therefore, missed the entire 2013 season.
- Harper, John (February 24, 2011). "Yankees left-handed pitching prospect Manny Banuelos is turning heads at spring training". Nydailynews.com. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- "Manny Banuelos to Pitch in ‘09 Futures Game — OurSports Central — Independent and Minor League Sports News". OurSports Central. June 25, 2009. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- Piliere, Frank (August 19, 2010). "Full Scouting Report: Manny Banuelos". Fanhouse.
- Manuel, John (December 16, 2009). "New York Yankees 2010 top 10 prospects". Baseballamerica.com. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- Manuel, John (November 10, 2010). "New York Yankees 2011 top 10 prospects". Baseballamerica.com. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- Hoch, Bryan (January 25, 2011). "Trio of Yankees among Top 50 prospects". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- Hoch, Bryan (March 9, 2011). "A fan first, Manny Banuelos living a dream at Yankees camp". MLB.com. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- Barbarisi, Daniel (March 1, 2011). "Rookie Pitchers Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances Turn Heads in Yankees Camp". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- Marchand, Andrew (March 10, 2011). "Spring training 2011: New York Yankees' Mariano Rivera on Manny Banuelos: I like everything about him — ESPN New York". ESPN. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- "Manny Banuelos wins 2011 James P. Dawson Award" (Press release). Major League Baseball. March 29, 2011. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- Nalbone, John (July 31, 2011). "Trenton Thunder ace Manny Banuelos is on the move ... to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- "Yankees invite 27 players to Spring Training". New York Yankees. Retrieved January 1, 2015.
- "A bump in the road for Manny Banuelos: Recovery from Tommy John surgery". Newsday. Retrieved January 1, 2015.
- "Yankees trade Manny Banuelos to the Braves for a pair of pitchers - HardballTalk". Retrieved January 1, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)